Okra

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
11:36 PM
Mod.edit: This and following posts moved to a new topic (MG)
My son is a caveman. He eats meat, meat, meat, meat, chicken, and meat.
Last time I was here I wrote down a list of vegetables so I'd know what they'd like and not like. The only thing they didn't say "NO" to was okra, probably because they didn't know what it was.
And that's one vegetable I have been saying "no" to ever since I was a child raised in the south, where it is consumed in copious amounts by everyone (except me). Yeah, most people in Ohio have no idea what it is, good for them!

Last edited by a moderator:
have no idea what it is, good for them!
If I am not mistaken, well...let me google first.😁
I was right, we call the okra bamiya in this region, and my Grandma made it into a pan fried version covered with tomato paste...it wasn't bad, I did eat it, the skin is a bit odd, like tiny little needles, if my memory serves me...
It was very rare at the farmers' market those days, now I see it more often.

I do not hate it, but do not miss it either.
A 100 other things I'd buy instead.

So it grows locally where you grew up? Wow. So sorry you are traumatized by okra.

If I am not mistaken, well...let me google first.😁
Most people like it. My family mostly fried it, though my uncle always put it in seafood gumbo (quite traditional). I always picked it out of the gumbo and I won't eat the fried stuff. I would always load up on the other vegetables and give the fried okra to my brother or a cousin.

Most people like it. My family mostly fried it, though my uncle always put it in seafood gumbo (quite traditional). I always picked it out of the gumbo and I won't eat the fried stuff. I would always load up on the other vegetables and give the fried okra to my brother or a cousin.
So your okra is my pea's!! 😆

So your okra is my pea's!! 😆
Kinda. But I can eat peas barely warmed with a little butter and salt and find them delicious. Nobody does that to okra, it has to be disguised with breading and fried or put in stews and soups for those who profess to like it to be able to eat it.

Kinda. But I can eat peas barely warmed with a little butter and salt and find them delicious. Nobody does that to okra, it has to be disguised with breading and fried or put in stews and soups for those who profess to like it to be able to eat it.
Nope, not for me! I like it as is. A little butter and salt n I'm good to go.Some Indian spices are always welcome though.
I mainly serve it stir fried with smoked salt and butter just like your peas!

But I will absolutely concede that unless picked whilst tiny they are completely unpalatable.
Nasty hairy spikey monsters!
Didn't know they could be bad until a couple of years ago when I bought some cheap frozen monstrosities!

Last edited:
As far as I can tell English

Nope, not for me! I like it as is. A little butter and salt n I'm good to go.Some Indian spices are always welcome though.
I mainly serve it stir fried with smoked salt and butter just like your peas!

But I will absolutely concede that unless picked whilst tiny they are completely unpalatable.
Nasty hairy spikey monsters!
Didn't know they could be bad until a couple of years ago when I bought some cheap frozen monstrosities!
You eat okra warmed but not cooked? When I wrote barely warmed for peas I didn't mean cooked and cooled down to warm...

You eat okra warmed but not cooked? When I wrote barely warmed for peas I didn't mean cooked and cooled down to warm...
Soz I looked at the simplicity of the ingredients.
Peas, butter and salt and translated that to okra.
But no way I'd voluntarily eat barely warmed peas.
Or cooked.
Might be tempted to try uncooked baby okra though 😂

I believe the only okra I’ve ever eaten is that which is in Campbell’s Chicken Gumbo soup, and I love it in that. I haven’t had it in years, but when I used to buy it, I’d save all the okra ‘til last and eat all of it at once.

Okra is best, IMHO, when it's fried first; it seems to remove the perceived sliminess. I generally trim the tops and bottoms, then cut the okra in half and stir fry for a minute or two. Then I can carry on with the rest of the recipe.
I've got a Pakistani recipe somewhere, which involves chopping the okra into 1/2" pieces and deep frying. Yummy, because they turn out all nice and crispy. I've eaten pickled okra, which are an interesting change from dill pickles, I suppose. Last time in London we ate Bhindi Pakora, which are spiced, whole okra deep-fried in a chickpea (besan flour) batter. Incredible.

Back
Top Bottom