Recipe Omach (foglie di fico (fig leaf pasta))

Reggiechefs

Local time
7:49 PM
This recipe is combination of traditional recipe of Bosnian pasta called omach and Italian ingredient fig leaf (foglie di fico).
This recipe has the minimalistic approach in cooking so that apart from the pasta (omach- bos. omač) we have fig leaf powder, garlic, butter, cucumber and parmigiano.

The recipe serves: 4
Preparation time: 1hour 10min
Ingredients dough:
6 eggs
450 g flour

Ingredients foglie di fico ( fig leaf powder):
15 g fig leaf powder
3 pieces Garlic (middle size)
4 cucumbers (small)
50g parmigiano
100g Greek yogurt

Omach dough preparation:
Firstly make a dough for Bosnian pasta omach with just 2 ingredients; flour and eggs. 6 eggs and flour. Put the eggs into a bowl and add the flour, little by little, mixing until it becomes harder and the dough comes together, and then put in the fridge for about 1 hour to rest.

Take dough on from the fridge and flatten it with rolling pin on floured table. Make the rolls and cut on strips 5-10 mm wide.

Dry strips in airfryer or electric gril on baking paper until fully dry

Cooking process:
Cook omach pasta in boiled water with salt and oil for about 15-20 minutes until al dente.
20240921_163235.jpg

Heat the pan to moderate with olive oil and butter and put smashed garlic and stir for 2-3 minutes until starts to release an aroma. Put the drained Bosnian pasta omach on top and stir to warm equally and absorbs aroma from garlic. Put a pinch of salt and fig leaf powder and stir to mix well. On top of everything put 50g parmigiano.

Mixing , sauce, serving, arranging:
In small bowl take rest of water from boiling pasta and stir it with greek yogurt. Cut cucumbers into small rounds or cubes and put in yogurt. Pour yogurt- cucumber mixture on top of omach and decorate with the rest of cucumbers and fig leaf powder.

IMG-0b264c45a187ca040baf5e49830b2550-V.jpg

Conclusion:
Satisfied with the taste of the result but actuality just wanted simple recipe with pasta, fig powder, and garlic but added yogurt because sourness and cucumbers for freshness. Im not satisfied with the serving image- could be more vibrant colors ( light was poor) and more interestingly arranged.

IMG-77671b7fc8d269d62bf2d7bff1dbf889-V.jpg

Last edited:
Great to make your own pasta Reggiechefs. Fig leaf powder is an unusual ingredient to many people but I came across it some years ago. It can be bought in the UK on-line but of course, you can dry fig leaves and make your own. It has a lovely flavour. Some say they taste of coconut.

I like the simplicity of this dish.

I enjoyed every segment of the proces own pasta production. I love idea that I know what I eat and can select type of flour. It can be used also as fresh home pasta when in a hurry- it have different taste, aroma and feeling when eating. The rest of the fresh pasta can be saved for later after the drying. There so many posibilities with that. Fig leaf is big story for me. Ive discovered like navigated to it. Its like something that my intuition find it. My nose find it and love it, and its started this summer. I regret that didn find it earlier and wandering what else do not know, dont use and some will newer know?

And yes I dry fig leaf my self. Firstly hang on string somewhere on air. After few days dry in airfryer 50° C for about 30min to get that crispy cracking and then crashing in mortar and pestle.

Back
Top Bottom