1 tsp garam masala
* for the green chutney:
15 gms (1 cup) coriander leaves
15 gms (1 cup) mint leaves
1" piece fresh ginger
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp chaat masala

Method:
  • First make the green chutney. Blend all the chutney ingredients together until smooth and thick. Add a drop of water if necessary.
  • Remove the crusts from the bread, spread the slices with butter and then spread with a little green chutney.
    Bhaji Pakora 1.jpg
    Bhaji Pakora 2.jpg
  • Place a few cubes of paneer/mozzarella each slice. Fold 1/3 of the slice to the middle, then the other 1/3 of the slice to the middle and you have a rectangular package. Flip this over and crimp the ends of the bread to seal. Set aside.
  • For the onion bhaji batter, mix together the onions, coriander leaf, chiles, rice flour, besan flour, salt, turmeric and garam masala in a bowl. Add just enough water to make a thick batter.
  • Now take a bread "package"and coat it thoroughly in the batter. Repeat with all the packages.
  • Fry in hot oil until golden brown.

An interesting departure from traditional onion bhaji. I'm unsure about it... but full marks for the green chutney!

What was your verdict?

What was your verdict?
A bit clumsy, I thought. I literally took the recipe off an Instagram post, first time. The sandwich bread needs to be good quality (not the crappy stuff I used) and buttering the bread first would avoid the green chutney soaking through the bread.
I'm going to try it again, with a modifcation or two - I'm going to use mozzarella instead of paneer, because it melts better, and I'm going to add more fresh chiles.

Fair enough. Using mozarella moved it even further away from an onion bhaji though!

I note you tagged this street food... not sure on which street you would find it... not in India, I would gave thought.

Back
Top Bottom