Ingredients
For the pastry:
2 cups self-rising flour
3/4 cup unsalted butter
1 egg, beaten
1 TB cream (optional)
I egg white, unbeaten

For the filling:
2 cups chopped onion (2 large or 3 medium onions)
2 slices bacon, diced
2 TB unsalted butter
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp caraway seeds
1/2 TB AP flour
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 eggs, beaten

Directions
For the pastry: Add the flour to a large mixing bow and cut in the butter with your fingers, a pastry blender, or two forks. Flour should appear mealy. Add the egg and mix together, then add in enough cream to form a dough (if needed). Pat into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch round cake pan (dough will be sticky - spray hands with oil if necessary). Brush the unbeaten egg white over the crust to prevent sogginess.

For the filling: Heat the oven to 375F. Melt the butter over a skillet set on medium to medium-high heat, then add the bacon. Once the bacon has rendered some additional fat, in with the onions, and cook until the onions are soft, 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in the salt, caraway seeds and flour, and cook, stirring constantly, for a minute longer. Turn off the heat and slowly mix in the cream. Add a spoonful of the onion mixture to the eggs, stir, then slowly add the egg mixture back to the onion mixture, and stir to combine. Pour the filling mixture into the prepared cake pan.

Bake until the pastry is crisp and the filling has set, 35-40 minutes. Serve warm as a snack or light lunch/supper, with a glass of good white wine.

Recipe based on one from The Art of German Cooking, by Betty Wason

IMG_9556.jpeg

IMG_9557.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a step missing in the directions? The filling needs putting in the pastry case...

The directions are a little difficult to follow as they are in two long paragraphs rather than step by step. Maybe I missed something?

Is there a step missing in the directions? The filling needs putting in the pastry case...

The directions are a little difficult to follow as they are in two long paragraphs rather than step by step. Maybe I missed something?
No, you’re not missing anything. It’s what happens when I have to write up methods from scratch instead of copy-paste.

I’ll get it fixed shortly.

That slice looks really good. I wasn't sure about this recipe as I didn't really understand the pre-cooking of the filling and thickening with flour. It's an unusual way to make a quiche or tart in my experience.

I really like the caraway seeds In this recipe, I should add.

Back
Top Bottom