Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
4:45 PM
Onion Rivel Soup
Makes 6 servings

Ingredients
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
2 medium yellow onions, sliced (about 2 cups)
6 cups beef stock
1 egg, beaten
3/4-1 cup AP/plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Directions
Melt the butter in a saucepan or small Dutch oven set over medium heat. Add the onions, turn back the heat just a bit, and cook until the onions start to turn golden, 10-15 minutes or so. Once the onions are golden, pour in the stock, raise the heat, cover, and bring it to the boil.

Now to make the rivels: add the beaten egg to a medium mixing bowl, then in with the salt and pepper, and the lesser amount of flour. Mix with a spoon or your fingers, adding more flour as needed, until a fairly soft dough forms.

Working with a spoonful of dough at a time, pinch off small pieces (bigger than a pea, smaller than a marble), and gently drop into the bubbling liquid - stir frequently and work quickly to get all the little dumplings in.

Once all the dumplings have been added, reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 10 minutes or so. Serve immediately, as the dumplings will begin to swell and disintegrate over time.

Recipe based on one from Marcia Adams’ Cooking from Quilt Country

IMG_9503.jpeg
IMG_9504.jpeg

Onion Rivel Soup
Makes 6 servings

Ingredients
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
2 medium yellow onions, sliced (about 2 cups)
6 cups beef stock
1 egg, beaten
3/4-1 cup AP/plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Directions
Melt the butter in a saucepan or small Dutch oven set over medium heat. Add the onions, turn back the heat just a bit, and cook until the onions start to turn golden, 10-15 minutes or so. Once the onions are golden, pour in the stock, raise the heat, cover, and bring it to the boil.

Now to make the rivels: add the beaten egg to a medium mixing bowl, then in with the salt and pepper, and the lesser amount of flour. Mix with a spoon or your fingers, adding more flour as needed, until a fairly soft dough forms.

Working with a spoonful of dough at a time, pinch off small pieces (bigger than a pea, smaller than a marble), and gently drop into the bubbling liquid - stir frequently and work quickly to get all the little dumplings in.

Once all the dumplings have been added, reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 10 minutes or so. Serve immediately, as the dumplings will begin to swell and disintegrate over time.

Recipe based on one from Marcia Adams’ Cooking from Quilt Country

View attachment 119176View attachment 119177
This has such a homey feeling. I love it.

This has such a homey feeling. I love it.
Thanks - I don’t make these very often, the little dumplings (the rivels), but I should, they’re so easy, and they can go into any soup, really. My grandmom used to serve these in her chicken soup, ball of dough in one hand and pulling off the little dumplings with the other and dropping them right in the pot.

Back
Top Bottom