Picking a font

Puggles

Guru
Local time
9:25 AM
I need to pick a different font for my browser and I have no idea which one, there are so many and I never understood the naming of them. They have really weird names. Can anyone recommend a good clear font for visibility?

Also, there are several different areas of font, like serif-font and sans-serif font. What does that even mean?

I need to pick a different font for my browser and I have no idea which one, there are so many and I never understood the naming of them. They have really weird names. Can anyone recommend a good clear font for visibility?

Also, there are several different areas of font, like serif-font and sans-serif font. What does that even mean?
As far as I know, this site want us to use the default.

As JAS_OH1 states, we ask that you don't change the font directly on the interface with this site because it allows accessibility devices to modify the entire site as needed for people with low vision or similar. It also looks more professional and is easier for everyone to read if everything is on the same font and colour.

That said, I had read your post that you were perhaps looking to do this for every site you visit because you said you needed to pick it for your web browser. But I guess that can be "translated" either way.

If you are looking to change how you view all sites in your web browser of choice, then the choice of font is rather like the choice of footwear or cars or food. It's your preference.

Fonts originated from the very first days of printing and developed with newspapers and books. There is a very long and frankly, tedious wiki article on them here (Typeface - Wikipedia). This wiki article is much shorter and covers digital fonts briefly (Font - Wikipedia).

Fonts fall in to families. Times is one of those families.

Serif-font and Sans-serif fonts are explained here. Serif - Wikipedia but basically it comes down to extras on the letters that are not part of the letter but are added for decoration. Sans meaning without.

In typography, a serif (/ˈsɛrɪf/) is a small line or stroke regularly attached to the end of a larger stroke in a letter or symbol within a particular font or family of fonts. A typeface or "font family" making use of serifs is called a serif typeface (or serifed typeface), and a typeface that does not include them is sans-serif. Some typography sources refer to sans-serif typefaces as "grotesque" (in German, grotesk) or "Gothic"[1] (although this often refers to blackletter type as well) and serif typefaces as "roman" (or in German, Antiqua).

I can't answer what font you'll find easiest to read but I do ask that if it is solely for here that you wish to override the default options, please don't. They've been removed from the toolbars for a reason.

Back
Top Bottom