Recipe Pickled Sage

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
9:54 PM
Pickled Sage
Makes about 2 cups of pickled herbs and 2-1/2 cups of brine

Up-front note: this also works with parsley, just sub in the same amount of that (maybe 2 small bunches) for the sage

Ingredients
2 cups prosecco vinegar (any white wine vinegar will do)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
2 tsp coarse kosher salt
4 garlic cloves, sliced
1 TB whole mustard seeds
1 tsp hot red pepper flakes
1-1/2 tsp caraway seeds (coriander is more traditional, but I was out)
2 packed cups fresh sage leaves, washed and patted dry

Directions
Add the vinegar, sugar, water salt, garlic slices, mustard seeds, pepper flakes, and caraway seeds to small saucepan. Stir, cover, and bring it right up to the boil, then immediately shut off the heat. Let this steep until cool (I let mine sit for about 2 hours while I did something else).

Pour the cooled pickling brine into a 1-quart or so container with a good lid (Ball jar works well). Give it another stir just to mix everything up, then pour it straight into the jar, no straining required.

At this point, you can fridge this for up to two weeks before continuing, or go right into it, like I did.

Add the sage leaves to the jar, making sure to push them well down into the liquid. You want every leaf as submerged as possible. Screw the lid on and stick it in the fridge for at least an hour (herbs pickle quickly), and use them within two weeks (the leaves will darken a bit, but they're perfectly fine and flavorful).

A note about the caraway seeds: I would normally have used coriander, like most pickling recipes I'm familiar with call for (as well as this one), but I was out of whole coriander seeds. I thought of using ground coriander, naturally, which I have plenty of, but I checked a couple of pickling websites and found that ground coriander isn't really recommend as a substitute; it can be difficult to get the dosage just right, as ground coriander won't measure out 1:1, it can adversely color the brine, can affect the texture of the finished pickled item, and it misses the aesthetic - not as many seeds bouncing around in there to ohhhh and ahhhh over.

Instead, it suggested caraway seed as the next-best substitute, and I was wary at first, but they're apparently from the same family, and they did give a certain earthiness and bitterness that I quite enjoyed once I sampled them.

Recipe based on one from The Nimble Cook, by Ronna Welsh.

Post-note: I used this as an ingredient in a couscous recipe challenge. Use your pickled sage in this recipe: Recipe - Sausage & Pickled Sage Couscous

IMG_8845.jpeg

I second that. :hyper: :laugh:
You wouldn't happen to have any ideas for other ways to use pickled sage, would you? The recipe book this came from pickled both sage and parsley separately, then recommend two recipes for the pickled parsley, and just the one for the pickled sage, and unfortunately, the internet is coming back with, "Huh? Pickled Sage? What's that?"

That's exactly why I asked. I've pickled some strange things in my life (including myself) but never sage. I just googled it in Spanish - and got 1 reply :hyper:
since you like pork, and sauerkraut, perhaps add some of that pickled sage (with pickling liquid and a spoonful of sugar) to make a pan sauce for a pork chop? Or some roast chicken?

That's exactly why I asked. I've pickled some strange things in my life (including myself) but never sage. I just googled it in Spanish - and got 1 reply :hyper:
since you like pork, and sauerkraut, perhaps add some of that pickled sage (with pickling liquid and a spoonful of sugar) to make a pan sauce for a pork chop? Or some roast chicken?
Oooh, that sounds excellent!
Rather than Sauerkraut, I'd like some Chunky Applesauce though or warm German potato Salad

Yeah. Pickled sage with pork would be lovely.

I reckon there are loads of ways you could use the pickled sage.

Yeah. Pickled sage with pork would be lovely.

I reckon there are loads of ways you could use the pickled sage.
I was thinking about a pickley saltimbocca - I have some lovely little thin-cut pork loin cutlets that would be perfect for that, and I could do another pan sauce with the brine.

Using pickle brine, BTW, seems to be having a moment - I’ve noticed a few articles talking about it, and seen a couple of videos on different was to cook with pickle brine.

Or hitting it with a mushroom sauce, that tends to go earthy, milky ( cream), and then boom, the sage
Love the idea of the mushrooms. I've done them with tarragon and it works a treat. My only reservation would be, will the vinegar in the pickle clash with the cream in the mushrooms?
Chop the pickled sage and add to scrambled eggs, maybe?
Again, great idea and the same reservation - would the vinegar clash with the eggs? Since I haven't tried it, don't know. Oh - pickled eggs! Of course it'll work!
I've put fresh basil leaves in with halved cherry tomatoes and pickled them.
Yes - great idea!

Back
Top Bottom