Local time
1:17 PM
Ingredients: (serves 2)

For the dough:
300 gms flour
2 tsps dried yeast
1/2 tsp salt
A splash of olive oil
Enough warm water to bring the dough together (about 400 mls)
For the topping:
3 small tins of anchovies
12-15 black olives, cut into halves
2 large onions (about 600 gms)
olive oil for frying

Method:
  • Sieve the flour into a large bowl, then add the dried yeast, the olive oil and the salt. Add the water and stir the mixture until the dough begins to come together.
  • Turn the dough on to a floured surface and knead until the dough is soft and silky. Sprinkle a little more water on if the dough feels too dry.
  • Lightly oil the bowl, return the dough to the bowl , cover with a damp cloth and allow to rise for about 2 hours.
  • Slice the onions into thin rounds (if you have a mandoline, it's easier). Heat a few tbsps of olive oil in the pan and put the onions in it. Once the onions begin to sizzle, lower the heat and cook for about 30 to 40 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onions are really soft, but not browned. Set aside.
  • Heat the oven to maximum .
  • To assemble the pissaladiere, roll out the dough and fit it into a square oven dish. Spread the caramelized onion evenly over the dough.
  • Arrange the anchovies in lines (you can make 1, 2 or 3 lines, depending on how many anchovies you want to use) then criss cross with 3 or 4 horizontal lines.
  • Place half an olive in each square ( or a whole one) ,
  • Bake for about 10 minutes, until the onions are just browned
Pissaladiere 1.jpg
Pissaladiere 2.jpg
Pissaladiere 3.jpg

My oven goes to a max of 550F (288C). I try and keep it at that level, otherwise the base of the dish doesn't crisp up like I want it to.

do you use a baking stone?
I've found preheating the oven with the stone helps set/crisp the bottoms of crusts that have a wettish content -
makes a noticeable difference especially with pizza

Pissaladiere is one of my favourite French dishes. I first ate it in Nice many years ago, bought from a boungerie. It's sold cut into squares. It can be found all over the Var region too. Not to be confused with pizza, the name is apparently derived from a little known French paste called pissala which contains anchovies.

What is so lovely is the magic if using four basic ingredients to make a gourmet treat packed with flavour. Traditionally, the onions are very slowly cooked in olive oil and shouldn't be browned. You seem to have done that perfectly here karadekoolaid. It looks good.

I have to say I have never seen the anchovies arranged in lines. They are traditionally arranged in a criss-cross pattern with an olive in each diamond. I think there is good reason for this. Because the pissaladiere is sold in squares or served in squares in bistro, it ensures each square has an even share of anchovies. If you image search pisssaladiere you will be hard pushed to find one with anchovies in lines. I think it loooks prettier using the traditonal pattern too. But hey, if you are eating it all between two of you then what the hell!

Thank you for resurrecting one of my favourite dishes.

Back
Top Bottom