badjak

Über Member
Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
10:50 AM
More or less based on the recipe as posted in the Guardian: How to make the perfect pissaladière – recipe | Felicity Cloake's How to make the perfect…

Base
250 gr flour (AP as that was all I had)
1 tbsp olive oil
4 g salt (I aim for 1.5-2% as percentage of flour)
150 ml water
3 gr yeast

Mix the lot together. Knead for 5 to 10 minutes or at least till the dough comes loose from your hand.
Then leave to rise for 60 to 90 minutes, depending on temperature
(to me, this was 40 minutes, then plonk bowl and dough in the fridge to delay the process as house temperature was about 40 oC)

Topping
1 kg onions (or so)
3-4 table spoons olive oil
water (maybe)
2 cans anchovies
lots of black olives (some for the pissalidiere, the others to snack on while cooking)

slice the onions thinly
put in pot (wok in my case)
Mix with the olive oil and cook, covered with a lid.
(Here's where the water comes in and should not normally be needed. I could only use a fairly big flame as the wind was howling, incl inside my "house". I had to add water to prevent the onions from burning)
Cook till very soft, remove the lid and keep cooking till most moisture has evaporated, trying not to burn the onions.
Cool down (a bit)

Assembly
Take the dough and push it out into an oven dish. Sort of a 0.5-1 cm thickness.
Cover with the onion mixture and then make a nice pattern with the anchovies and the black olives (if you managed to not eat all of them already, if you did, then open another pack :) )

Cook in the oven for 20-30 minutes
Mine's a gas oven, I used the highest setting

1728461344149.jpeg

I absolutely love pissaladiere. I've made it myself and eaten it in Nice. It's a Nicoise speciality and I ate a square of it bought from a boulangerie, whilst wandering around the city.

It's not a pizza. It's not for those who dislike anchovies or black olives. It's worth noting it would normally be served cut into a square for an individual portion, as an horse d'ouevre or eaten as snack. You wouldn't expect or want to be served a whole one as the tastes are very intense.

This version looks pretty authentic (although I think there are many arguments amongst French chefs as to what an authentic pissaladiere should be). Your onions don't look too caramelised despite slow cooking but they are going to be dekiciously sweet. I reckon that is how they look best in this dish for otherwise the tart would look brown all over. Your anchovies are criss-crossed correctly.

Looks great, in fact!

Back
Top Bottom