Purple vegetables?

Sweetkymom

Veteran
Local time
11:24 PM
Name a purple vegetable that you've had. Is it something you'd eat quite a bit of or something that's ok on an occasion? Do you have a yummy recipe to share with this veggie in it?

I don't really eat many of the purple vegetables. I don't care for eggplant and, other than purple cabbage, that's all we can get here. We chop up the cabbage and put it on our salad but that's about it. I had purple carrots and potatoes on a trip once and they were good in a pot roast we had.

Dioscorea alata is the scientific name of the purple yam. I think it might naturally be a sweet tuber, because where I live it's a popular dessert that I don't believe I've ever eaten savory. I should find a recipe...

I like fresh purple grapes, if that counts, but I don't tend to use them in recipes. They're just good to have fresh.

I have, however, been trying to replicate this sandwich recipe from a restaurant I went to. It was basically seared aubergines (or eggplants), with tomato sauce on foccacia bread. I think that there was a dash of grated Parmasan cheese in there, too, but it just doesn't taste the same as when I tried it...maybe there's a herb mix. The main ingredients are good enough, though.

Does ripe avocado count? The fresh is green, and we know avocados are avocado green, but when they're ripe the skin is purple. Okay, we don't eat the skin so that probably doesn't count.

Eggplant and purple sweet peppers would be the extent of it for me. I didn't eat eggplant for years but recently discovered that my aversion to it has been lifted.

Purple broccoli, eggplant/aubergine, purple cabbage, beet/beetroot, and red onions - which are in fact purple. All of them are good to eat and very nutritious.

I do like colorful vegetables rather than sticking with green ones. It is possible to have purple carrots and purple potatoes, but I believe these are normal color inside and are not purple after cooking. I have not seen any, but I 'm sure there must be a purple variety of tomato.

Purple broccoli, eggplant/aubergine, purple cabbage, beet/beetroot, and red onions - which are in fact purple. All of them are good to eat and very nutritious.

I do like colorful vegetables rather than sticking with green ones. It is possible to have purple carrots and purple potatoes, but I believe these are normal color inside and are not purple after cooking. I have not seen any, but I 'm sure there must be a purple variety of tomato.
yes there is. I used to grow them!

Red cabbage is actually purple. That is nice with a touch of cinnamon and some sultanas as a side dish. (It is also nice with crispy bacon chopped in it, but not if you are vegetarian!) Purple stemmed broccoli is nice and a colorful addition to stir fries or just as an accompaniment to a meal. Red onion is also actually purple in color. I sometimes add this to my homemade coleslaw and often to my curries or chilli dishes. Aubergine/ egg plant is nice and adds a different texture to dishes, although it has quite a mild flavor. A vegetarian version of moussaka is easy, just eliminate the lamb mince. Ratatouille with aubergine/ egg plant in is nice too. Hope this is helpful.

We don't get much of those here, but the one purple vegetable I eat most is purple cabbage because I love coleslaw and I often buy some from my favorite restaurants. I'm not sure how much they are different from regular cabbage, though, since I would not be able to tell the difference if I were to be blindfolded prior to eating it.

Aside from beets, radicchio, and eggplant (which I wouldn't even really classify as a "purple" veggie since it's just the skin), I really don't care for any of the other purple veggies I've tried. In particular, I've had purple potatoes, purple tomatoes, and purple peppers. My biggest problem with purple potatoes, is they look really unappetizing when prepared in the manner of traditional potatoes, such as fried and roasted recipes. The golden yellow crust that forms clashes with the purple color of the potato and they just look weird. Especially potato chips made from purple potatoes. Brownish-purple chips just look ugly to me. Mashed purple potatoes don't suffer quite as much as this when served on their own, but the purple color is still odd. I don't anticipate tasting something salty, creamy and buttery when I think of the color purple, so it seems a bit odd when I am eating them. Maybe if they were incorporated with some shallot or red onion that would help.

The purple tomatoes I tried were not only more expensive, but flavor wise I didn't like them at all. They had a weird bitter earthy taste to them. To be clear, the ones I had were about the size of golf balls, not as big as a regular tomato, but not a "grape" tomato either. I forget what the name of the variety was though. It was a similar issue with the purple peppers I tried. They were closer to the bitterness of a green bell pepper, but not something I would spend extra for. Red and yellow peppers are already like twice as much as Green peppers in our stores, I'm not paying extra for a purple pepper when I don't even care for the taste of them.

Name a purple vegetable that you've had. Is it something you'd eat quite a bit of or something that's ok on an occasion? Do you have a yummy recipe to share with this veggie in it?
I made some purple cabbage the other day. I also use purple potatoes from from time to time. I don't have any recipes for purple foods, but I love to eat them.

Back
Top Bottom