Recipe Roasted Saffron Cauliflower with Date Dressing

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
10:05 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
20240805_175706.jpg

The original recipe comes from this site (Roasted Saffron Cauliflower with Date Dressing) but I changed things slightly, such as soaking the date in hot water, straining them, then adding them and water to the dressing. It made no sense to me. Also the excess liquid from the saffron water went into the vinaigriette dressing. It seemed a waste not to use it all. I also didn't have medjool dates so just use what I had and more of them, plus I didn't need to soak them having a vitamix blender. If you don't have a high powdered blender, may I suggest that you do soak the dates, or use 1-2 tbsp of date syrup instead.

Ingredients
1 large cauliflower
2-4 red onions (depending on size)
good pinch of saffron strands, ground
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 heaped tbsp cumin seeds
olive oil
1 bunch of parsley
1 bunch of mint

Vinaigrette
5-10 dates (medjool are suggested, but I didn't have those so just went with what I had)
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard or 1 tsp Coleman's mustard powder
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

Method
  1. Preheat your oven to 200°C/400F or fan assist 180°C.
  2. Having ground your saffron threads, set them soaking in about 200ml near boiling water.
  3. Trim the cauliflower, cut the florets into bite sized pieces. Keep everything to the same size for an even cooking time. What size you choose is up to you. The cauliflower stalks and stem are all edible, so whilst the stems do not need peeling you'll see that the stalk benefits from it. If you cut the end off, you'll see what I'm referring to. Cut that away and slice into rings or sticks as you prefer. The smaller leaves are also edible. I must use them as is for the small ones, the larger ones, I'll cut in half. Big ones I don't bother with.
  4. Depending on the size of your red onions, cut them into 8ths or smaller and scatter them onto your roasting trays. You'll need 2 of them.
  5. Add some of the cauliflower florets to the saffron liquid, and get a good coating over the entire surface. There's no harm in letting them soak a little off you have the time. Add enough that you can toss the cauliflower florets in the saffron liquid, using salad tongues or similar to extract the florets from the saffron liquid, and add to the roasting trays. Repeat until all it the cauliflower has been dunked and turned yellow!
  6. Once all of the cauliflower and onions are on the roasting tray scatter the cumin seeds over the 2 trays, drizzle with olive oil, or any other you prefer to use and lightly salt and pepper the veg. Roast for around 20 minutes or until the florets are cooked and just starting to brown.
Vinaigrette dressing
  1. Strain the saffron water that's left over from above with a tea strainer and keep the liquid. You'll use it to thin the vinaigrette as needed.
  2. If you don't have a high powered blender, soak your dates in the minimum amount of hot water possible. Extract any stones as needed and add the dates (minus liquid) to the blender bowl. Add all of the remaining ingredients and process until you have a thick smooth and creamy sauce. Mine very definitely needed thinning, so I added the saved saffron water until I had a consistency close to double cream thickness.
  3. Finally assemble and serve with the baked veg, and sprinkle with the chopped mixed herbs.

20240804_091442.jpg
20240804_091509.jpg

I ended up adding more ground saffron and neat boiling water to a much bigger bowl. Australian cauliflowers tend to be very big (+1.25kg or so).

20240804_143447.jpg
20240804_143453.jpg
20240804_180055.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Cauliflower is lovely with saffron. I really like this recipe and in particular the use of dates in the vinaigrette* which adds a sweet and sour dimension to the dish

* I've never seen vinaigrette spelled as it is in this recipe

You spelt it:
Vin - eg - ari- ette as opposed to the correct:
vin - aig - rette

I must be looking at the only location where I spelt is the same way as you did! :scratchhead:

I can see why I have it that way, it's because I'm thinking vinegar...

...the florets are cooked and just starting to brown.
Vinaigrette dressing
  1. Strain the saffron..
I'll look for the other versions and edit them. I've always had a random approach to spelling. Enuff and ejog are the two in best known for in my family.

That's weird because mine populates after typing in a few letters? Pretty sure if I spell it wrong it won't accept it?
We're talking about different things. I don't have the word I can't spell on the title. And tags automatically fill themselves in from the title or from a set of default ones I've specified for a specific forum.

When I add them manually, I never type them in full, only ever do 3 letters and 'vin' is enough to see what it should be and accept that. I never ever type them in full because as a mod it will make a new incorrectly spelt one and I know I cant spell which oddly makes me really good at scrabble!

We're talking about different things. I don't have the word I can't spell on the title. And tags automatically fill themselves in from the title or from a set of default ones I've specified for a specific forum.

When I add them manually, I never type them in full, only ever do 3 letters and 'vin' is enough to see what it should be and accept that. I never ever type them in full because as a mod it will make a new incorrectly spelt one and I know I cant spell which oddly makes me really good at scrabble!
My point wad that if it's spelled in the tag correctly thaen you can see how it's spelled to post in the recipe!

Back
Top Bottom