TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
12:24 AM
Saffron Leisure
Makes 1 cocktail

Ingredients
50ml whiskey of your choice (I used what I have on hand, Bushmills)
10ml saffron simple syrup*
15ml freshly-squeezed lime juice
30ml pineapple juice
15ml white wine of your choice (I used what I had on hand, mini Sauvignon Blanc)
Star anise, for the garnish

Directions
Fill a cocktail shaker about halfway with ice. Add in all the ingredients except for the star anise.

Shake until the shaker is uncomfortable to hold, about 25 shakes. Add some fresh ice to a cocktail glass and strain the mixture into the glass.

Garnish with the star anise and toast how lucky you are to be enjoying such a fine little drink.

Recipe loosely based on Saffron Leisure at India.com

IMG_8966.jpeg

The CookingBites recipe challenge: saffron

*For the saffron simple syrup, put 1/2 cup of granulated sugar in a small saucepan, then add 1/2 cup of water and 7-8 threads of saffron. Bring to a boil and stir, just until the sugar is dissolved. Let cool about 1 hour and then strain into a jar. Refrigerate and use within 2 weeks.

That looks like a great cocktail; or at least, a highly creative one.
Did you taste the saffron in it, with all that other stuff going on?

I keep singing “Girl” with alternate lyrics:

🎶 That a man must break his back
To earn his Saffron Leisure… 🎶

I would happily drink this at leisure. Its most interesting but I do wonder if the whisky might eclipse the saffron somewhat.

I would happily drink this at leisure. Its most interesting but I do wonder if the whisky might eclipse the saffron somewhat.
I'm not a huge whiskey person anyway. What if I subbed some triple distilled vodka, or even better, white rum?

Back
Top Bottom