Recipe Salmon and cream cheese fried rangoons

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
9:48 PM
Salmon and cream cheese rangoon cooked 2.jpg

Crab rangoons are a popular Chinese takeaway appetizer in the US. They consist of sweetened and seasoned cream cheese, imitation crab, and chopped scallions (AKA green onion/spring onion). The filling is wrapped in won-ton wrappers, then deep fried. Usually the rangoons come in a purse, triange, or star shape, but I just rolled them up like mini eggrolls instead. Many people like to use a dipping sauce such as sweet and sour or chili sauce but I prefer them without a dipping sauce. For my recipe, I had some fresh salmon on hand, so I chose to sub out the crabmeat for the salmon and they turned out great!

Ingredients for filling:
8 ounces of softened cream cheese
4-6 ounces of cooked fresh salmon
1 TBSP Hoisin sauce
2 TBSP thinly diced scallions
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp soy sauce
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp white pepper

For wrapping and frying:
1 package of won ton wrappers
3 cups of neutral oil (I used vegetable oil)

Instructions:
Mix together all of the filling ingredients until well-blended. Fill a small bowl with water and keep next to the stack of won-ton wrappers at the wrapping station. Place about 1-2 tablespoons of the filling mixture in the bottom corner of a won-ton wrapper and firmly roll up about halfway, then moisten the pointed edges with a bit of water using your fingers. Tuck in the pointed edges on each side, then roll up completely to the top until sealed. Place on a tray and repeat until all of the filling mixture is gone.

Salmon and cream cheese rangoon filing.jpgSalmon and cream cheese rangoon won-ton wrappers and water.jpgSalmon and cream cheese rangoon filling rolling.jpgSalmon and cream cheese rangoon rolled uncooked.jpg

Heat up the oil in a deep pan on medium heat until it reaches 350F. Fry the rangoons in small batches (do not overcrowd the pan) until they turn light golden brown (about 2 minutes per side) and place on a tray lined with paper towels. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce or enjoy them plain.

Salmon and cream cheese rangoon cooked.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Usually, just enough time passes where I forget that crab rangoon is a bite of greasy fried wonton, with an undetectable amount of crab mixed into a small amount of cream cheese. Between the cream cheese and the oil saturation, it squishes with every chew, and there's no detectable flavor past the cream cheese. Then, I don't have it for a long period of time, until I forget about the last time.

Yours look much better than the crab rangoon I always seem to get. It's something I'd actually want to order if it tasted like I'm sure yours does.

Usually, just enough time passes where I forget that crab rangoon is a bite of greasy fried wonton, with an undetectable amount of crab mixed into a small amount of cream cheese. Between the cream cheese and the oil saturation, it squishes with every chew, and there's no detectable flavor past the cream cheese. Then, I don't have it for a long period of time, until I forget about the last time.

Yours look much better than the crab rangoon I always seem to get. It's something I'd actually want to order if it tasted like I'm sure yours does.
Thank you!

Edit: I wanted to add that I like the ones from the takeout Chinese places, but I do find them to be a bit gummy and undercooked, so I always bring them home and put them in the air fryer/toaster oven to crisp up for a few minutes. I like the crunchy won-ton wrapper! At least the place we get them doesn't have very greasy ones. I actually do the same thing with my egg rolls. And I don't like Panda Express crab rangoons.

Last edited:
They're just one of those things that have crispy bits, are deep-fried, and are filled with something that tastes ok. bit like a McDonald's apple pie :D
Last time I had some was in Cincinnati. There was a weekend event at Washington Park. Loads of stands, selling hot dogs, burgers, pulled pork, brisket, corn dogs, fried chicken, wings, pizzas, some unbelievably sickly cinnamon rolls... and a guy at the end doing fried rice and crab rangoon! I watched him make about 2 kgs of fried rice - unbelievable technique - and finally bought some rangoons. Yep, ok, tasted more of cream cheese than anything else, but they were crispy and deep-fried, so I was happy!

They're just one of those things that have crispy bits, are deep-fried, and are filled with something that tastes ok. bit like a McDonald's apple pie :D
Last time I had some was in Cincinnati. There was a weekend event at Washington Park. Loads of stands, selling hot dogs, burgers, pulled pork, brisket, corn dogs, fried chicken, wings, pizzas, some unbelievably sickly cinnamon rolls... and a guy at the end doing fried rice and crab rangoon! I watched him make about 2 kgs of fried rice - unbelievable technique - and finally bought some rangoons. Yep, ok, tasted more of cream cheese than anything else, but they were crispy and deep-fried, so I was happy!
I'd agree with that for those takeout rangoons. I like them, but they are using imitation crab meat and the ratio is off with much less crab than there is cream cheese at most places. If you look at my photo, you can see that there is a LOT of salmon in the filling mixture!

Back
Top Bottom