Recipe Sausage & Couscous-Stuffed Peppers

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
3:40 PM
Sausage & Couscous-Stuffed Peppers
Makes about 6 stuffed peppers

Note: this recipe went off the script early on, so you’re just going to have to go with what I’ve written.

Ingredients
1 very large onion
1 very large garlic clove, or two big ones
Salt & pepper
About 1-1/2 pounds Italian sausage (I used a mix of turkey Italian sausage and hot pork Italian sausage)
1 14-ounce can crushed tomatoes
A good handful of cherry tomatoes, diced (maybe 8 tomatoes)
3/4 cup couscous (not pearl)
6 bell peppers, halved or topped (depending on how you like to stuff them), color doesn’t matter
About 4 ounces of a melting cheese, shredded (I used Gouda)

Directions
Set the oven to 400F.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, then add the onions, garlic, a couple of pinches of salt, and a pinch of black pepper. Sauté until onions start to soften, about 5 minutes.

Add in the sausage and brown, breaking it up as it cooks, until it browns, maybe another 5 minutes. Toss in the cherry tomatoes and cook 2-3 minutes longer.

Pour in the crushed tomatoes and a cup of water. Simmer until it just begins to thicken, about 5 minutes, then remove from the heat and stir in the couscous. Stir it thoroughly.

Fit the peppers in a baking/casserole dish that’s just large enough to hold them. Fill them with the sausage mixture, packing it a bit if necessary. Pour 1/2 cup water into the bottom of the dish, fit tightly with aluminum foil, then bake in the preheated oven for about 40 minutes.

Remove the peppers from the oven, uncover and discard the foil, and evenly distribute the cheese among the peppers. Back in the oven for another 10-15 minutes.

Let sit for about 10 minutes, then carefully remove to a paper towel-lined plate and let sit for another 5 minutes to allow any of the steaming water to evaporate off the peppers.

Enjoy!

The CookingBites recipe challenge: couscous

Recipe very loosely based on one from Martha Stewart

Back
Top Bottom