Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
8:30 PM
Sausage & Pickled Sage Couscous
Makes 4 servings

Ingredients
1 TB grapeseed oil
1 pound spicy Italian sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces (do not remove the casings)
1-1/4 pounds onions, sliced 1/4-inch thick (maybe 4 small onions*)
1 tsp coarse kosher salt, divided
1 cup couscous (not pearl)
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1-1/2 cups water
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/3 cup pickling brine from pickled sage**
1-1/2 TB roughly-torn pickled sage leaves**

Directions
Set a large skillet over medium-high and heat the oil until it just begins to shimmer, then carefully add the sausages pieces. Sear until quite browned all over, maybe 3 minutes a side, being careful not to burn them; cut the heat back to medium if necessary. Keep an eye on them, they darken quickly!

Add in the sliced onions, breaking them up to separate the slices, and turn the heat down to medium if you haven't already. Cook for about 20 minutes, until the onions soften and begin to darken at the edges, but again, watch carefully and stir every so often, scraping up some of browned bits, if possible. Once cooked, remove the sausage pieces to a small bowl and set aside, and stir 1/2 teaspoon of salt into the onions.

While the sausage and onions are cooking, place the couscous in a large mixing bowl. Season with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt, as well as a good amount of pepper (at least 1/4 teaspoon). Boil the water, then pour over the couscous, stir it, and cover with a good lid or plastic wrap and let it sit for five minutes, then remove the lid, fluff with a fork, and taste for seasoning. You'll probably want a bit more pepper. Back to the sausage and onions...

Once the onions have cooked and the sausage pieces separated out, tip the onions into the couscous and give it a little mix. With the skillet back over medium/medium-high heat, toss in the raising and the pickling brine. Working quickly, scrape up any remaining browned bits from the bottom of the pan, and stir, reducing the liquid to about 1 tablespoon. Keep checking it, it'll happen before you know it.

Pour the raisin sauce into the couscous, and mix it well. Taste one last time for seasoning, adjust if needed, then platter or bowl it up, and top with the reserved sausage pieces. Finally, baptize the dish with the pickled sage. Serve, then accept your laurels with grace and humility.

Recipe based on one from The Nimble Cook, by Ronna Welsh

*I didn't have enough onion on hand to meet the requirement, so I added a large shallot. It worked fine.
**I posted the recipe for pickled sage leaves, which can be made weeks in advance. It's easy and available here: Recipe - Pickled Sage

The CookingBites recipe challenge: couscous

THAT looks extraordinarily creative, to be honest! :bravo:
However, two questions. Firstly, what's the point in pickling the sage leaves? I mean, sage is a pretty potent herb, so why not just use it as is? Did you notice a difference?
Secondly, what does the addition of the pickling liquid add to the final dish?

THAT looks extraordinarily creative, to be honest! :bravo:
However, two questions. Firstly, what's the point in pickling the sage leaves? I mean, sage is a pretty potent herb, so why not just use it as is? Did you notice a difference?
Secondly, what does the addition of the pickling liquid add to the final dish?
Thanks.

I ate a few of the sage leaves, and yes, it does change the flavor...they pick up a good bit of sweet-sour from the brine and it mellows them a bit, IMO. I'd never eat raw sage leaves just to eat them, but I tried one of these, and before I realized it, I'd snacked on several before closing them back up.

Same with the little sauce, very simple with just the left-behind fat and browned bits from the sausage and onion, and the brine, but it was the way the vinegar balanced all that sweetness from the sugar and the raisins, and then that bit of heat, both from the brine with the red pepper flakes in it, and the hot Italian sausages I used, it just worked together so well. In the final dish, the raisins were as much as texture as flavor - very nice to hit something just a little chewy while noshing through the other stuff.

This is one of my favorite things I've made in a long time. Very nice.

ate a few of the sage leaves, and yes, it does change the flavor...they pick up a good bit of sweet-sour from the brine and it mellows them a bit, IMO. I'd never eat raw sage leaves just to eat them.
Good, because sage is a potent herb, IMHO. you can eat a leaf and think "WOW!! What was that???" because of the intensity. I'd add tarragon to that category and probably oregano. I could happily chomp my way through a pile of parsley, or cilantro, or mint, or basil, however.
You may have just stumbled across a new, viral ingredient. Just imagine a Domino's Double Cheese and Double Pepperoni Pizza, with pickled sage leaves!!
:hyper: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Just imagine a Domino's Double Cheese and Double Pepperoni Pizza, with pickled sage leaves!!
You’re back home less than a week and you’re already craving pizza. It’ll pass, that’s just the pizza withdrawal symptoms. You just have to ride it out.

You’re back home less than a week and you’re already craving pizza. It’ll pass, that’s just the pizza withdrawal symptoms. You just have to ride it out.
Not at all. The pizza dough is still in a black bag, hidden at the back of the freezer. Every time I open the freezer, I shudder.
I was only thinking of , you know, Margherita, Pepperoni, Margherita,Pepperoni, and maybe a bit of pickled sage might rock the monotony :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I can see this working really well with the pickled sage. We make a sausage, sage, and orecchetti dish that uses the sausage fat, pasta water and Pecorino Romano to make the sauce. Sometimes, it has a kind of greasy mouth feel and I bet using pickled sage would take care of that.

Back
Top Bottom