Ingredients (makes two individual pies)

For the pastry:
50g Lard
125g of Plain Flour
120ml hot water

For the filling:
150g Minced Lamb
1/2 tsp of Mixed Herbs
1/4 tsp Mace (All Spice or Nutmug are good substitutes but use half the amount)
1/2 Small Onion (finely chopped)
Beef Stock (or gravy will do) tiniest amount just to coat the mince
Salt and Pepper for seasoning throughout - add as much or as little as you like as you go along.

Instructions:

Pour 120ml of the hot water in to a suitable measuring jug and add the lard (if you slice in to small cubes it will melt quicker). Put the flour in a bowl and mix in the lard/water mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until it turns in to pastry. Sprinkle some flour on to your workbench and do some kneading of the dough.

Split the pastry in to two balls and then pinch a bit off the balls and put to one side (these will become the pie lids). Grab a rolling pin and roll out the large balls.

Grease your pie tins and then put in the pastry. Roll the small balls out and then place the pie lids and pie tins in to the fridge for at least 20 minutes...

Fry the chopped onion in a frying pan and add in the mixed herbs and mace. Mix in some beef stock - just a tiny amount as we don't want a runny filling to this kind of pie.

When the pastry is cool enough, remove it from the fridge and add in the filling but do not fill any more than 3/4 of the way up else it will not be a Scotch Pie. Put on the lids and create a small hole in the middle for the steam to escape from.

20241007_184848335_iOS.jpg

Bake them in the over at 180º for around 45 minutes.

20241007_193757446_iOS.jpg

Done!

Last edited by a moderator:
Love it, and congratulations on nailing that hot water pastry. I'm goin to give that a try.

First time doing it and quite simple and easy to do I found.

They look great!

Thanks! They tasted just like the ones I've had before, but better quality meat 😎

I could only manage half of one for my dinner, so I put the other half in the fridge for later and it was delicious cold for my supper!

20241007_194001576_iOS.jpg

They go very well with Rumbledethumps!

Back
Top Bottom