Ingredients
2 TB olive oil
2 TB unsalted butter
5 large onions, peeled and sliced
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 TB white wine vinegar (optional)
Salt and white pepper to taste

Directions
Heat the oil and butter in a deep skillet (or large pan) over medium heat. Once the butter melts, toss in the onions and stir to coat.

Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for 10 minutes. Uncover and continue to cook for another 10 minutes, stirring frequently to keep the onions from browning (browning will discolor the sauce), until the onions are soft.

Put the onions (and any remaining liquid) into the bowl of a food processor, add the cream and vinegar (if using), and purée - sauce will be thick somewhat rustic in appearance. It won’t be smooth, but it won’t be chunky, either.

Add salt and white pepper to taste. Works well with chicken, turkey, or pork.

Recipe based on one in The Cook’s Bible, by Chris Kimball

Sorry, no pics 😞

Smothered Onion Sauce
Makes about 2 1/2 cups

Ingredients
2 TB olive oil
2 TB unsalted butter
5 large onions, peeled and sliced
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 TB white wine vinegar (optional)
Salt and white pepper to taste

Directions
Heat the oil and butter in a deep skillet (or large pan) over medium heat. Once the butter melts, toss in the onions and stir to coat.

Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for 10 minutes. Uncover and continue to cook for another 10 minutes, stirring frequently to keep the onions from browning (browning will discolor the sauce), until the onions are soft.

Put the onions (and any remaining liquid) into the bowl of a food processor, add the cream and vinegar (if using), and purée - sauce will be thick somewhat rustic in appearance. It won’t be smooth, but it won’t be chunky, either.

Add salt and white pepper to taste. Works well with chicken, turkey, or pork.

Recipe based on one in The Cook’s Bible, by Chris Kimball

Sorry, no pics 😞

I like the idea of a white onion sauce although I am not sure why it's 'smothered'. The vinegar would be an essential taste dimension for me I think.

Why doesn't the sauce become smooth?

I am not sure why it's 'smothered'.
Onions cooked low and slow like that are sometimes referred to as “smothered onions” here.

Why doesn't the sauce become smooth?
I’m not sure it’s meant to. The write-up in the book describes it as very thick and intense. I’d probably call it a puree.

OK. Smothered implies blanketing something in the sauce. So perhaps it's not technically the onions that are smothered. Doesn't matter really as smothered sounds comforting. Unless of course...

Back
Top Bottom