Ingredients: (Serves 4-5)
100 mls olive oil
150 gms peeled almonds
100 gms fresh bread, lightly toasted
2 cloves garlic, chopped
100 gms onion, finely diced
1 lt light vegetable stock *
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp white pepper ( I hadn't got any, so had to use black. White, definitely better)
Sopa de Almendras 1.jpg
sopa de almendras 3.jpg
Sopa de Almendras 4.jpg
sopa de almendras 2.jpg

1 tbsp saffron strands
1 tbsp coriander leaf
(For the spinach "meatballs"):
100 gms fresh or frozen spinach
25 gms lightly crushed almonds (need a bit of texture here)
25 gms almond flour
1 tbsp lemon zest
1 tbsp cumin powder
1 1/2 tbsps all purpose flour
3 tbsps breadcrumbs
1 egg, beaten
Olive oil for frying
* The original recipe called for chicken stock - which I used - but I found it a bit invasive

Method:
  • Heat the oil in a pan and add the almonds and chopped onion. Cook for 3-4 minutes on medium-low, until the onions are soft. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Remove from the heat and set aside
  • Grind the toasted bread in a processor, then add the onion mixture and half the stock. Process until smooth, then return to the pan.
  • Add all the rest of the ingredients and cook gently for about 10 minutes until the ingredients are well incorporated.
  • Sauté the spinach in a small amount of oil until it wilts. Remove from the heat and put into a bowl.
  • Add the crushed almonds, the almond flour, the lemon zest, 1/2 tbsp flour and half the breadcrumbs. Mix together with you hands and make the "meatballs" - 2 or 3 per person, so don't make them too big.
  • Roll in the remaining flour, then the beaten egg, then the remaining breadcrumbs and fry gently until browned.
  • Place the "meatballs" in a bowl and the pour the soup around them. Garnish with a few saffron strands and some toasted almonds.

A well balanced (I mean in terms if flavours and textures) vegetarian dish - would be vegan but for the egg to bind the 'meatballs'. I love the idea of spinach and almond meatballs. The soup looks very pretty and I'm pleased to note that you recommend using white pepper. It's an underrated ingredient which has a unique slightly lemony taste which sets it apart from harsher black pepper. It's the perfect pepper to use with saffron.

I find it interesting that whilst this is almost 'Ajo blanco' (which I've totally failed to write up), all of the versions I've come across don't cook anything to make it, but yours does. I tried it because it doesn't involve cooking at all, which in aussie summers is handy.

I do like the addition of saffron, but wonder if with the other versions, the taste would be lost?

Do you serve this version hot, warm or cold?

Ottolenghi: Chilled Almond and Ginger Soup

Ajo Blanco

Ajo Blanco (Spanish Chilled "White Gazpacho" Bread and Almond Soup)

Vegan Ajo Blanco Soup

Do you serve this version hot, warm or cold?
THAT is the $64,000,000 question. When I made it , I served it warm, thinking "yuk, cold soup, hot meatballs, no" but perhaps it would work better slightly chilled. since the meatballs are spinach and almonds, no problem with their being cold as well.
When I first saw the recipe I immediately thought of ajo blanco, and yet it wasn't quite the same.Less garlic, probably. There's little doubt in my mind, however, that Chef Alarcon's inspiration came from there.

Back
Top Bottom