Recipe Sri Lankan Black Pepper Chicken Curry

AgileMJOLNIR

Local time
11:03 PM
I decided to dive into another Sri Lankan curry today and I’m really loving the peppery taste of this one with the usual kick of spiciness. The Coconut milk adds a nice thick creamy texture and oh boy, those fresh curry leaves are something special.

IMG_9368.jpeg

IMG_9369.jpeg

IMG_9370.jpeg

INGREDIENTS
1 kilo ( 2lbs.) chicken thighs cut into bite sized pieces
3 tablespoon ghee
1 cinnamon stick
5 green cardamom pods (punctured to release flavour)
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
3 cloves
3 bay leaves
30 fresh curry leaves (or more)
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
2 onions - finely chopped
1 onion - thinly sliced
3 tablespoons garlic and ginger paste
2 sweet green peppers - sliced
3 spicy green chilli peppers (stems removed and sliced in half lengthwise)
20 cherry tomatoes - quartered
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon red chilli powder
3-4 tablespoons finely ground black pepper (This should be to taste)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
400ml ( 1 1/2 cups) coconut milk
Salt to taste

METHOD
In a Dutch oven, wok or other pot, heat the ghee in over medium high heat until it begins to bubble and pop.

Add the cinnamon, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, cloves, bay leaves and curry leaves. Give them a nice stir.

When the mustard seeds begin to pop (2-3min), add the chopped onions and stir well to combine. It should already be very aromatic at this point.

Fry the onions until they begin to brown (about 10-15min) and then add the spicy green chillies, black pepper and other ground spices. Stir well to combine keeping an eye on the bottom of your pot. If your spices or pepper begins to to stick just add a splash of water or brother to deglaze.

Spoon in the garlic, ginger paste and soy sauce. Stir to combine.

Stir in the chicken pieces and brown them for about five minutes.

Add the sliced sweet green peppers, tomatoes and sliced onions, and a pinch of salt. Cover the pot and turn your heat down to medium.
Cook for five to ten minutes. As you do this the chicken and vegetables will release moisture.

Remove the lid and pour in the coconut milk and simmer until you are happy with the desired consistency. I like mine with plenty of thick sauce so I cooked uncovered for approximately 20-30min while stirring periodically. This reduced it down to a gravy like thickness. Exactly how I prefer most of my curries.

Remove the Cinnamon stick. Season with more salt if needed and a little more black pepper if desired.

I served this with some Chickpea Roti and fresh Green onion and Parsley. This also goes great with rice (what a shocker) :wink:

This looks really lovely. I've an intolerance of coconut milk which is unfortunate, but I can appreciate its use. Yes, fresh curry leaves are phenomenal. You used 30! I've never used that many in one dish. Mind you, I cook mainly for two these days so quantities ard scaled down. How many does your recipe serve?

I decided to dive into another Sri Lankan curry today and I’m really loving the peppery taste of this one with the usual kick of spiciness. The Coconut milk adds a nice thick creamy texture and oh boy, those fresh curry leaves are something special.
It looks super delicious. I attempted to make Sri Lankan fish curry a few years ago. I turned out to be okay. It's difficult to get good fish here in my town. I'll try your recipe this time.

Back
Top Bottom