Recipe Tequila chicken, avocado and burnt orange salad

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
9:24 AM
Tequila adds a strong kick to this salad in both the marinade for the chicken and marinade for the avocado. Burnt orange slices (rind on) add a bittersweet taste which works well with creamy avocado. The instructions may look complicated but its really not a difficult recipe. Everything can be prepared in advance. If you do prepare ahead of time, remove the avocados from their marinade. They are apt to over soften if left too long.

fullsizeoutput_8684.jpeg

Ingredients (serves 2 as a main course salad or 4 as a starter)
Step one:

4 tbsp tequila
Juice of half an orange
1 tsp salt
1 large or 2 small boneless chicken breast(s)
Honey to drizzle

Step 2:
1 tbsp tequila
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp Dijon mustard
3 tbsp walnut oil
1 tbsp orange juice
1 medium sized medium hot chilli, finely chopped
Salt to taste
1 large or 2 small avocado(s), pitted, peeled and sliced

Step 3:
½ large orange, finely sliced
Salad leaves, to serve

Method
Step 1:
  1. Mix together the tequila. orange juice and salt. Marinate the chicken breast in the mixture for at least 4 hours or overnight.
  2. Heat the oven to 180C
  3. Place the chicken breast on a sheet of foil. Turn the edges of the foil up and add the marinade. Drizzle a little honey over the chicken. Place another sheet of foil over the top, tenting it slightly. Seal the two sheets of foil together.
  4. Place in the oven and cook for 30 minutes. Open the foil parcel. Use culinary blow torch to char the top of the chicken (optional).
  5. Leave to cool. Slice the chicken fairly thinly.
Step 2:
  1. Mix all the ingredients together except for the avocado.
  2. Place the avocado slices in a bowl, pour the mixture over them and marinate for 10 minutes.
Step 3:
  1. Place the orange slices on a baking sheet or on foil.
  2. Use a culinary blow torch to char the slices.
  3. To serve, place a bed of salad leaves on each plate (or one large platter). Arrange the chicken slices, avocado slices and charred orange slices on the leaves. Use the marinade from the avocados to drizzle over the top.

fullsizeoutput_867f.jpeg

The colors in that are remarkable!
Well thank you but It's all natural colours. All I did was put 'em together. The thing is, when I devise a recipe, the colour combinations are as important as taste to me. What I love about cooking is the way it combines so many of the senses.

Back
Top Bottom