6:32 PM
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
Website
mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com
IMG_3970.JPG

The BEST Bran Muffins I've Ever Made!

Yield 15-16 Muffins

Ingredients

1 ½ cups Wheat Bran Flake Cereal (I use the cheapest brand I can find, like Great Value)
1 cup Buttermilk (if using powdered Buttermilk, put that in with the other dry ingredients and soak the Bran in just 1 C. Water)
⅔ cup Brown sugar (light or dark, whatever you have)
⅓ cup Vegetable oil
1 large Egg
1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
1 Tbsp. Molasses
1 cup All-purpose Flour
1 teaspoon Baking soda
1 teaspoon Baking powder
1 tsp. ground Cinnamon (maybe a bit more?)
½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
½ cup Raisins (use dried Cranberries)
½ cup chopped Pecans (or Walnuts or ...)

Method

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
Grease 15-16 muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
Mix Wheat Bran Flake Cereal and Buttermilk together in a large bowl; let stand for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, beat Brown sugar, Oil, Egg, and Vanilla together in a separate bowl until light and fluffy; stir into Buttermilk mixture.
Sift Flour, Baking soda, Baking powder, and Salt together; stir into buttermilk mixture until just blended.
Fold in Raisins; spoon batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full.
Bake in the preheated oven until tops spring back when lightly pressed, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Cool in the tin briefly, then transfer to a wire rack to cooling rack.

Cooks Note: these are THE BEST!!!
*Be very careful NOT to over mix or bake!!!
Store muffins in an airtight container for up to 4 days

Thank you, Kgrl. I do have some dry buttermilk powder (or I can make sour milk if need be). Thank you for that tip.

Do you think I can use the bran flakes with the raisins? There is a store brand Raisin bran - $2.99 for 18.7 oz. box.

Thank you, Kgrl. I do have some dry buttermilk powder (or I can make sour milk if need be). Thank you for that tip.

Do you think I can use the bran flakes with the raisins? There is a store brand Raisin bran - $2.99 for 18.7 oz. box.
MsM, I don't see any reason why you couldn't use Raisin Bran cereal, especially if it's on sale!
For my taste anyways, I might add more Raisins and then I like nuts in there too.

Back
Top Bottom