Today’s pics

What a marvelous way to start the day by walking outside. Very pleasant to be out, around 24c I'd say.
20240703_085939.jpg
20240703_091128.jpg

Why is it being banned? I've often seen it being used on Find it, Fix it, Flog it
End of this year it will be banned. It’s been on the table for Europe for a lonnnnng time and the UK was still part of Europe at the time it was agreed.
The chemicals used to make chrome are toxic. Most other plating is also toxic but they’ve focused on chrome.
There will be some exceptions made for military, aeronautical and medical applications because chrome is tough and absolutely essential.

There is a replacement process for producing a similar finish but honestly compared with real chrome it’s rubbish, looks thin and yellow. It doesn’t have that thick deep slightly blue look to it. It’s also weaker.

However the platers I went to yesterday said they had managed to get an exemption certificate. It’s very involved with a huge amount of red tape and paperwork, code numbers and safety precautions but they will be able to carry on.

That pleased me because they are a family business that has been chrome plating for four generations and their life as they know it being stopped was a sad thought.

He said it’s killed the hot rod hobbyist already. They go abroad for their chrome parts.
Heyho. I see the point from a environmental stance but also think they focus on the tiny minutiae banning things so they can say they’ve done something for the environment that doesn’t require any real effort when we all know there are far far bigger problems that they ignore.

Back
Top Bottom