TV streaming services

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
1:54 PM
Inspired by another topic…what streaming services do you have (pay or free)?

We have:
AppleTV+
Sling
AcornTV
BritBox
Disney+
Netflix
Starz

Those are all pay, and I’m desperate to ditch Sling and Starz, but MrsT says no.

ABC
CBS
CW
PBS
NBC
Crackle
Freevee
Plex
PlutoTV
Tubi

Those are all free, and Crackle is definitely about to be deleted, as well as either Plex or Pluto, I can’t remember which one. Crackle continually freezes when transitioning from ads back to the program, and either Plex or Pluto, their ad breaks are frequent and long (adding nearly 40 minutes to a two hour movie we watched), and their closed-captioning is always out of sync.

None of the above to my knowledge. But I tend to only watch Food Network UK, and other UK cooking programmes on the main channels. Those and the news on BBC, ITV and Sky. Occasionally I watch a crime series but that is always BBC, ITV or Ch.4, the usual UK channels.

We have

Hulu

Netflix

Amazon Prime (which is part of the yearly cost of being a Prime Member)

Switch between Disney+ and Paramount+ every 6 months or so.

Peacock, which is free for me as a perk of being an XFinity Platinum level status.

HBO Max, part of cable package.

Showtime, part of cable package.

Occasionally watch Freevee.

We spend $270+ each month on cable. I keep meaning to go through the cable channels with Craig to see which ones he actually watches so we can cut the cable bill, but I never seem to get around to doing it.

We're completely deprived, because we only have SimpleTV ( which is really, really appalling) and maybe Netflix, although sometimes it's hard to download.

Inspired by another topic…what streaming services do you have (pay or free)?

We have:
AppleTV+
Sling
AcornTV
BritBox
Disney+
Netflix
Starz

Those are all pay, and I’m desperate to ditch Sling and Starz, but MrsT says no.

ABC
CBS
CW
PBS
NBC
Crackle
Freevee
Plex
PlutoTV
Tubi

Those are all free, and Crackle is definitely about to be deleted, as well as either Plex or Pluto, I can’t remember which one. Crackle continually freezes when transitioning from ads back to the program, and either Plex or Pluto, their ad breaks are frequent and long (adding nearly 40 minutes to a two hour movie we watched), and their closed-captioning is always out of sync.
Slightly OT, do any of those give you Mortimer and Whitehouse, Gone Fishing? It's a BBC made programme, I think in its sixth series now.

It’s available, but at an additional cost.
Ah right. It is a programme where two of Britain's best comedians go fishing, but it is not about the fishing. It is absolutely unique and if you love British countryside and a programme that wraps you in a warm hug then it is for you. You have to watch it from the beginning to understand the back story of the pair, the first series of six episodes is a little clunky, but by series 2 and 3 it works out what it is meant to be and is glorious.

We have only Netflix that we pay for. But that's not the Netflix that Americans see. Both UK and Australian Netflix are much more limited than the American version, so it's pretty limited.

We have access to several Australian TV streaming services because we are not near enough to an antenna that we can get a decent signal from (it's 65km away). So the picture often gets up and walks off the screen in a series of pixels before it catches up. What it does do though is provide us with just enough of a signal to qualify to usual the streaming version on the TV. So we have ABC, SBS, 7 and 10 streaming services which allow us the catchup or live stream the content from those channels (equivalent of BBC iplayer).

We have access to 3 others that we can choose to rent a video from if we want to.

I guess the only possible addition was to join BritBox . We've been thinking about it but yet to take the leap.

I guess the only possible addition was to join BritBox . We've been thinking about it but yet to take the leap.
I can wholeheartedly recommend it. I don’t know if Acorn is available there, but they have a fair amount of Aussie programming. Both do, now that I think about it, but Acorn may have a bit more.

I can wholeheartedly recommend it. I don’t know if Acorn is available there, but they have a fair amount of Aussie programming. Both do, now that I think about it, but Acorn may have a bit more.
We had Acorn for a month so DD and I could watch Murdoch Mysteries from the beginning.

I purchased two Roku Streaming Sticks, 1 for him & 1 for her.
The only thing that we are paying for right now is MLB.
We got the season ticket with the Phillies.

For everything else that we are watching right now, it's free You Tube. We do not have cable any longer.

On occasion, we do pay a nominal fee to stream one movie at a time via Fandango aka Vudu. It's usually less than $5 per movie, no monthly fee.

In the past, we did pay monthly for Britbox, AcornTv, Peacock, Paramount+, ESPN, ummm, I'm pretty sure that's it.
Each of these streaming channels we've kept only for a short time, just to watch a specific series or sporting event and then cancelled it.

My PCP had highly recommended that I binge watch Yellowstone while we were in self-isolation with Covid the first time around. That's the only time that we paid for Paramount+ and to be honest, it was a free 1 month trial, so there's that.
:D

My PCP had highly recommended that I binge watch Yellowstone while we were in self-isolation with Covid the first time around. That's the only time that we paid for Paramount+ and to be honest, it was a free 1 month trial, so there's that.
:D

If you liked Yellowstone, they have done a couple of prequel series, 1883, the journey out west to start the ranch, which is finished. Then, 1923, which has Harrison Ford as the brother of the founder Dutton, and Helen Mirren as his wife, 1 season with another being made.

Back
Top Bottom