What do you eat with Yorkshire puddings?

Lullabelle

Midlands, England
Local time
9:52 AM
Mod.edit: posts moved to form new topic (MG)

We had a delicious roast chicken dinner. In the office this has sparked the debate as to whether or not Yorkshire puds belong on a plate with chicken or should it only be beef.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll eat them on their own or with chicken, lamb, beef, pork or vegan roast. There just needs to be gravy.
I’m afraid to speak up…almost, but I’ve been known to take the last pud and smear strawberry jam and peanut butter on it. :whistling:

I hereby tender my resignation as moderator, forum member, and human being. I’ll shall await sentencing by a jury of my Britters (meaning, my betters, who are British). :laugh:

I’m afraid to speak up…almost, but I’ve been known to take the last pud and smear strawberry jam and peanut butter on it. :whistling:

I hereby tender my resignation as moderator, forum member, and human being. I’ll shall await sentencing by a jury of my Britters (meaning, my betters, who are British). :laugh:
Well, leftovers with jam is very Yorkshire, so you'd fit right in, as long as you don't mention the peanut butter 😄

I’m afraid to speak up…almost, but I’ve been known to take the last pud and smear strawberry jam and peanut butter on it.
You can eat them however you want. Just as there is no Royal English Language Academy to tell us what words we can and can't use, neither is there a British Food Academy (Thank God!) to order us never to put jam on our scones first.

I eat Yorkshire pud with Sunday lunch. In fact, I don't eat it any other way. Sunday lunch in my house was chicken, and roast beef for my dad and sister. The rest of us hated beef.
Agree about the gravy, though!

Last edited:
HM Queen Elizabeth apparently ( cos I never shared scones with her!) preferred the jam first ( because it's unlikely to slide off) and the cream, second.
However, Cornwall and Devon fight over whether it's jam or cream first.
Who cares? Whatever rocks your boat!

HM Queen Elizabeth apparently ( cos I never shared scones with her!) preferred the jam first ( because it's unlikely to slide off) and the cream, second.
However, Cornwall and Devon fight over whether it's jam or cream first.
Who cares? Whatever rocks your boat!
The Queen was right. Jam is thixotropic and provides a more stable base in a thinner layer to dollop the cream on. The cream by contrast, if applied first, is liable to shear and drop off, and certainly does not provide a stable base to transfer the jam from the knife onto the tea time treat.

Science innit.

Back
Top Bottom