Your other hobbies.

That's looking good. Hard to go too wrong with the foot. Just stop at the desired number of stitches and keep note of one of the sides which should be easy on dpns. You'll need this 'side' so that the toe is lined up with the heel and not 5 stitches out or similar.

If you end up with an the uneven number of stitches, you can just loose a stitch in the tour areas. Have you decided on your tour decreases or are you going for a straight wedge toe? I prefer a rounded toe, which is
3 lots of decreases on 1 round, 2 normal rounds
3 lots of decrease in 1 round and 1 normal round and finally 3 round of decrease on each round.

This gives a nice rounded toe, so it takes 18 rounds in total but you'll lose 12 stitches (4 sts in each of 3 rounds) in the first 9 rounds. Then you'll lose 12 stitches in 6 rounds, and finally you'll lose 12 sts in 3 rounds. I stop at something like 14 sts on each side of the toe before joining the toe ends. I don't have pointed toes, so this broader fit works better for me. Some instructions say to decrease until you only have 14 sts total left. You end up with a very pointed end to the sock and in my car, nothing to fill it with.
Thanks SatNav! The foot should be ok, last time I’m pretty sure I messed up at the gusset but didn’t realize until I went to start my toe decreases and everything was out of whack.

The toe for this one is 4 decreases on one round and then knit the next, continuing until there are 12 stitches. Then I’ll need to look up how to do kitchener’s stitch to close up the toe. I guess we’ll have to see how it fits and learn how pointy my toes are!

I think I’ve gotten the hang of the dpns, but discovered I really prefer circulars. When I do the Simply Curious socks I’ll try doing them on circulars with the magic loop (I’ve knit quite a few things on circulars before but never used magic loop).

The toe for this one is 4 decreases on one round and then knit the next, continuing until there are 12 stitches. Then I’ll need to look up how to do kitchener’s stitch to close up the toe. I guess we’ll have to see how it fits and learn how pointy my toes are!
Don't get hung up over what a pattern says for the toe. I don't know anyone who actually likes the wedge toe which is what you're doing. Especially not going down to that few stitches.

The same applies with heel flaps just like the leg length and the foot length, toe and heel flap lengths are customisable.

And don't go down to 12 sts. That's 6 on the top and 6 on the bottom. That's basically a very pointed shoe effect. It's for people with the 3rd toe much longer than the big toe. Look up "knitting sock toe types" or similar. I've got a 'Roman' toe type. That's the big toe is the largest and the next 3 are all the same length and actually not that much shorter than my big toe. My little toe is then way down out of the way, so when I knit socks, and fit them to my feet, my reference point for starting my 18 rounds for the toe decreases is actually after my little toe ends!

You want this sock to fit, so think of it as a recipe. It isn't fixed like baking is, but flexible like cooking.

Then I’ll need to look up how to do kitchener’s stitch to close up the toe
After you've looked at the Kitchener graft, and fallen out with it, look up the Finchley Graft. It does exactly the same thing and is much, much easier. It's the only graft I now use.

I think I’ve gotten the hang of the dpns, but discovered I really prefer circulars. When I do the Simply Curious socks I’ll try doing them on circulars with the magic loop (I’ve knit quite a few things on circulars before but never used magic loop).

I also much prefer circulars, but I use short circulars that are 23cm from tip to tip.

Magic loop is OK but the pull on those critical stitches can leave very noticeable laddering in the sock or sleeve. It took me a while to know about short circulars. They are literally what it says...

I have prevailed! I have a sock, and not only does it look like a sock, it actually fits my foot!
IMG_1042.jpeg

IMG_1041.jpeg

It’s not perfect by any means, but I’m very pleased with myself. Now on to the second one!

My Mother's apartment is a bit boring looking. It is devoid of color and interest.
I kept saying to her that her balcony was a bit loud with traffic noise and wouldn't she like me to help alleviate that?

IMG_4316.JPG

I found an inexpensive privacy screen that's suppose to look like an Ivy Fence, hmmm, kinda sorta, but still kinda boring ... I poked around her cupboards and found some faux flowers and attached those.
I also added some fairy lights on a battery operated outdoor approved string (hard to see in the sunlight).
I like to craft.
Mom was tickled pink! She says that it's so much nicer to sit outside, which she likes to do. We can change up the flowers/added décor on the Ivy Fence with the seasons.

Yesterday I started on this new flower arrangement, honouring the Dad of my boyfriend, who sadly passed just yesterday.

I find it easier to cope when I give some expression to sorrow.

There were only a few flowers to choose from, but it is ok.

I used some cement-like agent inside the vase, a few gravel rocks, to stabilize the vase and make it heavier, against wind.

It is meant to be outside, I will bring it to a nearby (public) Crucifix.

Then, added a lower green row, to cover the grey holding sponge. Not too bad from above, is it?

It is the gesture, the amount of thoughts that count.

20240726_134123.jpg

20240726_134217.jpg

Back
Top Bottom