Your other hobbies.

I've got all the lighting done in my bazaar stall, waiting for the new ribbon I ordered for trim and belt, and cord to make sandals for my guy. Then, it's done!

Next project is Venetian Carnivale themed. Got my doll kit a couple of days ago, and have everything, I hope, for my scene box. I'll probably start on that tomorrow.

I went through the majority of my supplies, still have 1 small and 1 big box to go, and separated and labeled large and small plastic boxes.

Rented an inside, A/C'd storage unit in August because I'm getting a bit paranoid about all these storms. It's a solid concrete block building recently built so under newer hurricane building codes, our unit is on the second floor, so no flooding unless we have a tidal wave. Going to keep mini stuff I'm not working on in there, plus Craig's guitar and Cajun accordion that he never plays anymore, but won't give up, plus some other things we've never unpacked since we downsized. Figured I'd keep some bottled water in there during hurricane season.

I've got all the lighting done in my bazaar stall, waiting for the new ribbon I ordered for trim and belt, and cord to make sandals for my guy. Then, it's done!

Next project is Venetian Carnivale themed. Got my doll kit a couple of days ago, and have everything, I hope, for my scene box. I'll probably start on that tomorrow.

I went through the majority of my supplies, still have 1 small and 1 big box to go, and separated and labeled large and small plastic boxes.

Rented an inside, A/C'd storage unit in August because I'm getting a bit paranoid about all these storms. It's a solid concrete block building recently built so under newer hurricane building codes, our unit is on the second floor, so no flooding unless we have a tidal wave. Going to keep mini stuff I'm not working on in there, plus Craig's guitar and Cajun accordion that he never plays anymore, but won't give up, plus some other things we've never unpacked since we downsized. Figured I'd keep some bottled water in there during hurricane season.
Sound like a wise move.
Did you hear Frances last accordion makers have gone into liquidation? Such a shame they’ve been going 105 years.
Would be nice if the government bailed them out. Especially as this comes just six months after the governments culture minister inaugurated a €9 million accordion museum.
They send out their last order on monday.

where on earth do you keep them all?
I really need a large insulated garden shed but I've got the inside of my house to decorate first so that's a few years away!

Here's the view of the top of my stairs and landing:

20241006_063404625_iOS.jpg
20241006_063429463_iOS.jpg

And this is one of my spare bedrooms (AKA my laptop and crafting room):

20241006_063527854_iOS.jpg

As you can imagine, I've got laptops all over the place!

In addition to trying out new recipes and meal ideas, I also like to (try) to fix old retro laptops and the like.
They're not difficult. That's what I did for a living for almost the last 3 decades. I can be given 3 faulty identical laptops and usually come out with 2 working ones and a pile of spares.

As you can imagine, I've got laptops all over the place!
I used to work with a fellow who bought old computers, as well as old pinball and other arcade games, and fixed them up and sold them. This was years before eBay or anything like that, but there was quite an active word-of-mouth community of buyers and sellers of that stuff back then.

I visited his house once…early 30’s, single, his parents had died in a car crash, no siblings, so he inherited their five-bedroom house (basement, ground floor, upstairs, and attic), and every bit of it was crammed full of computers, full-sized arcade games, parts, cables, etc…all excruciatingly organized, not messy at all, but it was a lot of stuff.

If they are Compaq laptops then I add them to my Retro Computing Collection - if not, then I sell them on eBay. So far I have sold 1 🤣🤣🤣

I had the opportunity of a lifetime around 4 years ago to buy 400ish laptops that (after negotiating a discount) cost an average of 86pence each so at less than £1 it was a no brainer! I plugged each one in and if it showed any sign of life it went in to one pile, if not I stripped it for spares. I ended up with 300ish laptops that showed a sign of life. I have since purchased just over 100 more on eBay, hence having around 400 of them still.

With regards to storage, I have a spare bedroom upstairs that I have installed garage racking in. I then have some more racking on my landing and at the top of my stairs! They are grouped together by brand.

Despite being well over at least 20 years away from retirement (unless I win the lottery of course) I'm planning ahead for my retirement and these laptops are to keep me busy and my brain active. I wasnt planning on having so many but at £76 per 100 I couldn
t believe my luck! Oh and I've just remembered I have some hidden in the cupboard under the stairs and some in my front room in Really Useful Boxes...

By the time you get around to fixing all of them won't the OS be so outdated that they would be all but useless to buyers?

We've got a computer that runs XP Pro on it that I've kept limping along because of a program we still use on it for my husband's small business, but that's all we use it for. The OS is so outdated that it can't run new programs and security is so outdated we can't access banking, email or pretty much any software that has financial transactions, nor can it update anti-virus programs anymore.

By the time you get around to fixing all of them won't the OS be so outdated that they would be all but useless to buyers?

We've got a computer that runs XP Pro on it that I've kept limping along because of a program we still use on it for my husband's small business, but that's all we use it for. The OS is so outdated that it can't run new programs and security is so outdated we can't access banking, email or pretty much any software that has financial transactions, nor can it update anti-virus programs anymore.
Most will be XP, a fair few only Windows 95. They're never going to be used as a modern laptop for everyday use. They will end up being used for Retro Computing/Gaming - just like people buy old games consoles like the original XBox or Nintendo Entertainment System, people buy and collect these things as well.

Hah, the above has been waiting to be posted for days. I've worked on her a bit more since.

1000005627.jpg

Her poofy sleeves are drying, they'll get fluffed out after the glue dries. I'll also add some of the blue as a small poof. After that, I'll spray the fabric stuff on so I can drape her gown properly. Then her jewelry and hair. Mask will be added last

Back
Top Bottom