Warmed up food

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
10:15 PM
A friend was complaining that he was served "warmed up" chips in a restaurant recently.

Although I always prefer freshly cooked foods, there are times when it is necessary/desired to reheat foods cooked previously. However, in my opinion, this should never apply to chips.

Here I'm talking refrigerated foods, not frozen. Stews and curries I don't mind reheating from the fridge.

I work from home so I often have warmed up leftovers for lunch....including occasionally leftover chips! Chip shop chips can be successfully warmed up again in an Actifry or air-fryer - they go nice and crispy on the outside but soft and fluffy on the inside. I think its the blown hot air and fat that's already inside the chips that makes this work. I don't think you'd get the same result in an oven (and definitely not a microwave!). I would never warm up thin cut chips/fries or oven chips though...can't see them working very well.

A friend was complaining that he was served "warmed up" chips in a restaurant recently.

Although I always prefer freshly cooked foods, there are times when it is necessary/desired to reheat foods cooked previously. However, in my opinion, this should never apply to chips.

Here I'm talking refrigerated foods, not frozen. Stews and curries I don't mind reheating from the fridge.

I often make soups and stews on a day off to have for a later in the week meal. They are generally better then.:okay:

I must say that heated up chips sound horrible.

Chip shop chips can be successfully warmed up again in an Actifry or air-fryer - they go nice and crispy on the outside but soft and fluffy on the inside.

That is a revelation!
I often make soups and stews on a day off to have for a later in the week meal. They are generally better then.:okay:

Most soups, stews, curries etc. benefit from being kept and re-heated (its like a marinating process).

When and if there are leftovers from a Sunday lunch, certainly I reheat stove top on a Monday ..

The only alternative is to throw it out and that is not a solution we deem necessary .. We enjoy our leftovers ..

We rarely eat potatoes except for in soups or stews, so I cannot give you an opinión on fried potatoes as in Potatoes for " Bravas " or "chips" (UK for fried potatoes) ..

Some things are best made in large batches. Soup, stew, beans, chili, gumbo. I find it difficult to make such items in small batches. While making a mess in the kitchen I go big. Good thing. I have been under the weather this week and have had no interest in cooking. There is chili, 3 different soups, gumbo, 2 different bean dishes, sliced pork roast and turkey, and asparagus casserole in the freezer. All George has had to do is heat it up and add a salad and steamed or roasted veggies. Those kinds of dishes taste better the next day (or week or month). The flavors meld.
Reheated chips or fries - NOT.

@ElizabethB

Yes, it is same with Paella or Pasta or Bean Stews or even a roast .. There is always left overs for Mondays ..

Always makes us 4 lunches at mínimum ..

I would never think of making Patatas Bravas and re-heating them .. I make just enough for 2 Tapa Portions ..

Have a lovely day ..

As a lot of you will have noticed, I often cook enough food for two meals, even though only I will be eating them. Even though I call them that, they are not really leftovers as they are intentionally cooked for half to be eaten on another occasion. Nearly all of these meals are suitable for reheating without any problems; even my infamous bangers and mash tarte tatins reheated beautifully in the microwave :D

However, I never reheat fried foods (except for pancakes and flatbreads which are easily reheated with a quick zap in a very hot, dry frying pan), or eggs. I can't stand reheated pizza, and, as for chips, don't even go there :laugh:

Gosh no - the idea of re-heating eggs makes me feel quite ill. Although I did spot a frozen vegetable omelette in the supermarket freezer cabinet yesterday. What an odd idea! Omelettes are fast food anyway...
You could use leftover omelettes (or, indeed, pancakes) in soup, but that is the extent of any reheating I would do. Frozen omelettes have been around for a long time, but it is quicker to make one from scratch rather than cook for 20 minutes in a hot oven or 2 1/2 minutes in a microwave plus standing time for just one. Complete and utter waste of time and money.

Re-heating seafood is problematic. Dad always said that you do not cook seafood until it is done. You cook it only until it is no longer raw. A fine line between perfection and over cooking. For the Aubergine competition I had more eggplant rounds and shrimp than we could eat in a meal. I cooked only what we could eat. The next day I cooked the rest of the eggplant rounds, heated the sauce and added raw shrimp. I did the same thing while visiting my Brother in Colorado. I made shrimp and jalapeno cheese grits. I cooked only enough shrimp for the two of us. The next day I re-heated the grits and the sauce and added the remaining, raw shrimp.

I would never consider heating eggs, pizza, chips or fries. :sick:

To be honest I don't like the idea of re-heating anything unless my husband makes a big batch of bolognese or chillli, these taste better when they have had time to mature but nothing else. I could be missing out on something but not sure I would like to try.

Back
Top Bottom