Recipe Asian Edamame Stir Fry

blades

Local time
11:29 PM
We are all familiar with the 4 basic food tastes - bitter, sweet, sour and salty. The Japanese have added a fifth that they call Umami. Umami translates, if I may coin a word, to savoryness. Foods that have umami share some chemicals and receptors in common. These foods are things like meat, cheese and a number of other foods including soy beans and soya products. These products are not only healthy but also tasty when added to our cusisine. This dish provides some soy derived umami with edamame, soy sauce and, if you choose the sauce linked below, miso. i'm not a vegan but I think this would qualify for that definition. Correct me if I am mistaken.
DSCF6430.jpg

Ingredients

1 cup edamame (beans removed from pods)
1/2 onion, thickly sliced
1/2 red bell pepper
1/2 cup cauliflower separated into small pieces
Stir fry sauce. I used this one.
cooked short grain rice or udon noodles to serve

Instructions

First make up the stir fry sauce linked above or whichever sauce you prefer and set it aside. Remove beans from the edamame pods and prepare other vegetables. Start cooking the rice. Heat a wok and oil it lightly. Stir fry the veggies finishing with the addition of the sauce and stir fry until the sauce has thickened. Serve with rice or noodles.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom