Beginners Indian curry recipes

blades

Local time
2:01 AM
[This post and several following have been moved from another thread (MG)]

Recommendations for cookery books or specific recipes? Both karadekoolaid and I cook quite a lot of Indian food.
Specific recipes, particularly those that use commonly available ingredients. Out here in the country exotic ingredients are hard to find. I can buy basic Indian spices in the supermarket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Specific recipes, particularly those that use commonly available ingredients. Out here in the country exotic ingredients are hard to find. I can buy basic Indian spices in the supermarket.
Just did a quick search of my curry recipes on the forum. There are quite a few. This one is fairly staightforward and you should be able to get the ingredients. Vindaloo is hot. If you want a milder curry use less chilli or a milder chilli powder.

Recipe - Beef Vindaloo

Last edited:
I absolutely love the saag aloo.

Recipe - Saag aloo AKA spinach and potato curry

Recipe - Poori

Recipe - Garlic butter Naan

Recipe - Butter roasted egg masala

Recipe - Vegetable biryani

If you are interested in the beef korma I made recently, I'll write up the recipe(s) or take pictures from the book for the korma and relishes. The korma was great, wish I had made the full recipe for leftovers. The korma could also be made with lamb, probably goat too. They are Madhur recipes.

What did you cook or eat today (July 2024)

Just did a quick search of my curry recipes on the forum. There are quite a few. This one us fairly staightforward and you should be able to get the ingredients. Vindaloo is hot. If you want a milder curry use less chilli or a milder chilli powder.

Recipe - Beef Vindaloo
Thanks, that's perfect. I have all the ingredients on hand except for sesame seeds. I will have to substitute pork tenderloin for the beef since my wife is allergic to beef. Sesame seeds coming up.

I will have to substitute pork tenderloin for the beef
I make vindaloo with pork. In fact (although I'm not absolutely sure) the original recipe was Portuguese: carne de vinha d'alhos (meat with wine and garlic) and the Portuguese just love pork. Arrived in India with the Portuguese colony of Goa - and spread to Curry houses in the 50-60s in the UK.

I make vindaloo with pork. In fact (although I'm not absolutely sure) the original recipe was Portuguese: carne de vinha d'alhos (meat with wine and garlic) and the Portuguese just love pork. Arrived in India with the Portuguese colony of Goa - and spread to Curry houses in the 50-60s in the UK.
Yeah, as far as I know, vindaloo is with pork

Yep - I think its 'traditionally' made with pork but in Indian restaurants in the UK. the term 'vindaloo' is applied to chicken, lamb, beef, prawns etc! I think in India pork vindaloo is a Goan recipe.

One of my favourite Indian based websites has the following vindaloo recipes (and none are pork): Archana's Kitchen by Archana's Kitchen

Last edited:
Thanks, that's perfect. I have all the ingredients on hand except for sesame seeds. I will have to substitute pork tenderloin for the beef since my wife is allergic to beef. Sesame seeds coming up.

The only thing I would say is that with pork tenderloin it goes tough if cooked too long and I'm not sure if it will develop enough flavour cooked for a shorter time in the curry sauce.

The sesame seeds were really only a garnish so don't worry if you don't have them.

Last edited:
The only thing I would say is that with pork tenderloin it goes tough if cooked too long and I'm not sure if it will develop enough flavour cooked for a shorter time in the curry sauce.

The sesame seeds were really only a garnish so don't worry if you don't have them.
Not a problem. I can slice the tenderloin so that it absorbs flavor quicker. At least tenderloin isn't like pork chops. And I can't use beef. I will put it all together tomorrow.

in Indian restaurants in the UK. the term 'vindaloo' is applied to chicken, lamb, beef, prawns etc! I think in India pork vindaloo is a Goan recipe.
At one stage it was the hottest of the trilogy: Korma (mild) Bombay (medium) and Vindaloo (hot).
I cook pork vindaloo a lot. The key is to marinate the pork, with the chiles and the spices - and then cook it. Tenderloin, whether it's pork, or beef, or even lamb, does not require lots of cooking.

in Indian restaurants in the UK. the term 'vindaloo' is applied to chicken, lamb, beef, prawns etc! I think in India pork vindaloo is a Goan recipe.
At one stage it was the hottest of the trilogy: Korma (mild) Bombay (medium) and Vindaloo (hot). Then , gradually an informal competition emerged to see who you eat the hottest curries, so a step up from Vindaloo became Tindaloo, and then Phaal (which was invented in Birmingham).

At one stage it was the hottest of the trilogy: Korma (mild) Bombay (medium) and Vindaloo (hot). Then , gradually an informal competition emerged to see who you eat the hottest curries, so a step up from Vindaloo became Tindaloo, and then Phaal (which was invented in Birmingham).

Apparently the reason many UK Indian restaurants don't have pork on the menu is because they are owned by Muslims.

I love Phaal. Oh yeah!

OK. If pork is wrong for vindaloo I will use chicken since it was on your list.

Back
Top Bottom