Beginners Indian curry recipes

Are you making the curry sauce first then using that as a marinade? That is what I would do. And I'd leave the pork in chunks.
That is what I did. It had a 5 hour marination prior to cooking. In my opinion the marination wasn't such a good idea. The flavor of the meat was buried by the curry. I don't recommend marinating the pork prior to cooking. The curry is powerfully flavorful and a little to go with the tenderloin would have been better. Also I overdid the fennel seed. I've never really cared for the flavor of fennel and it distracted me. I will make it again without the marination or the fennel seed and I think it will fit my preferences to a tee.

I looked up information on the internet. As you said, It is a Goan dish and as KaradeKoolaid pointed out, its name was adapted from a Portuguese dish called meat with wine and garlic. Goa is a small area in Western India and was a Portuguese colony for more than 400 years ending in 1961. Vindaloo originated there from the Portuguese dish and was made with pork. It spread across India and became popular in the UK during the 1970's when a number of Indian restaurants opened there. In the UK it is usually made with beef as your recipe supported.

I served it with a lemon and pea Basmati rice which was trouble free and a nice side dish.

Indian cooking can be pretty tricky, I think. I will do this dish again and adjust the curry spices a little as I go forward. I normally don't spice my dishes to this degree and I have some adjusting and learning to do.

Last edited:
That is what I did. It had a 5 hour marination prior to cooking. In my opinion the marination wasn't such a good idea. The flavor of the meat was buried by the curry. I don't recommend marinating the pork prior to cooking. The curry is powerfully flavorful and a little to go with the tenderloin would have been better. Also I overdid the fennel seed. I've never really cared for the flavor of fennel and it distracted me. I will make it again without the marination or the fennel seed and I think it will fit my preferences to a tee.

I looked up information on the internet. As you said, It is a Goan dish and as KaradeKoolaid pointed out, its name was adapted from a Portuguese dish called meat with wine and garlic. Goa is a small area in Western India and was a Portuguese colony for more than 400 years ending in 1961. Vindaloo originated there from the Portuguese dish and was made with pork. It spread across India and became popular in the UK during the 1970's when a number of Indian restaurants opened there. In the UK it is usually made with beef as your recipe supported.

I served it with a lemon and pea Basmati rice which was trouble free and a nice side dish.

Indian cooking can be pretty tricky, I think. I will do this dish again and adjust the curry spices a little as I go forward. I normally don't spice my dishes to this degree and I have some adjusting and learning to do.
I'm glad you tried this even though not perfect for your taste. Maybe tenderloin isn't right here although karadekoolaid says he uses that. To be honest I don't find pork has much flavour which is why I used beef. I have the feeling that pork in Goa might taste rather different than Western tenderloin.

Indian food does use a lot if spice but its really up to you how you balance it.

There is a really mild curry I do which has been tried and tested by another member. It uses chicken and is super easy to make. Does your wife eat chicken?

But also maybe try one of karadekoolaid's curries. He holds classes in Indian food and really does know his stuff.

medtran49 is an excellent cook and I would also vouch for her recipes suggested above.

I'm glad you tried this even though not perfect for your taste. Maybe tenderloin isn't right here although karadekoolaid says he uses that. To be honest I don't find pork has much flavour which is why I used beef. I have the feeling that pork in Goa might taste rather different than Western tenderloin.

Indian food does use a lot if spice but its really up to you how you balance it.

There is a really mild curry I do which has been tried and tested by another member. It uses chicken and is super easy to make. Does your wife eat chicken?

But also maybe try one of karadekoolaid's curries. He holds classes in Indian food and really does know his stuff.

medtran49 is an excellent cook and I would also vouch for her recipes suggested above.
Thanks. I prefer beef but we can't serve it here. On the rare occasions that we eat out I almost always order a beef dish. I want to apologize for the image. For some reason the flash wouldn't fire so all I had was images without enough available slight to prevent blurring. While I fussed with the flash, my wife asked if she could begin eating so I abandoned making a better image. Here is the result of my vindaloo cooking a bit blurred.
vindaloo.jpg

Maybe try butter chicken or chicken tikka masala as they are very mildly spiced.
Korma's are mild as well.

Another thing,
Quite often Indian curries are accompanied by raita, a yoghurt based side.
Besides being tasty, it also acts as a "coolant" for hot curries.
Poppadams etc have a similar effect, as does plain rice (obviously)

Maybe try butter chicken or chicken tikka masala as they are very mildly spiced.
Korma's are mild as well.

Another thing,
Quite often Indian curries are accompanied by raita, a yoghurt based side.
Besides being tasty, it also acts as a "coolant" for hot curries.
Poppadams etc have a similar effect, as does plain rice (obviously)
I don't think the pork was the issue, nor was the amount of hot pepper. I just wouldn't marinate pork with this recipe and I wouldn't include the fennel seed just out of preference. Overall it is a tasty dish that needs some adjustment for my own preference. My comments weren't meant to criticize the recipe. The recipe didn't suggest marination. It was just comments about how the cook (that would be me) handled it.

I don't think the pork was the issue, nor was the amount of hot pepper. I just wouldn't marinate pork with this recipe and I wouldn't include the fennel seed just out of preference.
That's exactly the way to manage a new recipe! A recipe, after all, is only a list of instructions written by ONE person, for that person's personal taste. When you make it, you're free to make all the changes you wish to accommodate the recipe to your tastes.
And the fennel seeds - yep, they can be very invasive. Think cheap Italian sausage :laugh:. If you don't like them, then leave them out.

Thanks. I prefer beef but we can't serve it here. On the rare occasions that we eat out I almost always order a beef dish. I want to apologize for the image. For some reason the flash wouldn't fire so all I had was images without enough available slight to prevent blurring. While I fussed with the flash, my wife asked if she could begin eating so I abandoned making a better image. Here is the result of my vindaloo cooking a bit blurred.
View attachment 116161

Despite the blur it looks good!

Back
Top Bottom