Breakfast cereals

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
1:54 PM
[Mod comment: copied post to start a new topic(TR)]

How many points is that? Or is WW a thing of the past?
Her normal behavior is to buy it, then not eat it, because of the points.

Remember that box of Boo Berry cereal I posted a couple of weeks ago? It’s sitting on top of the fridge, next to a box of monster cereal from last year that hasn’t been opened yet, and is now more than three months past its sell by date.

Her normal behavior is to buy it, then not eat it, because of the points.

Remember that box of Boo Berry cereal I posted a couple of weeks ago? It’s sitting on top of the fridge, next to a box of monster cereal from last year that hasn’t been opened yet, and is now more than three months past its sell by date.
I have eaten cereal that is past it's due date...I imagine it will remain unopened and tossed in the bin. But perhaps if she shows interest in something that you are reasonably certain she will not eat, you could remind her of the Monster and Boo cereals...I have no idea what those are, BTW. I am guessing some sort of Halloween themed cereal?

I have eaten cereal that is past it's due date...I imagine it will remain unopened and tossed in the bin. But perhaps if she shows interest in something that you are reasonably certain she will not eat, you could remind her of the Monster and Boo cereals...I have no idea what those are, BTW. I am guessing some sort of Halloween themed cereal?
Monster cereals are the ones from the ‘60’s-‘70’s - Boo Berry, Count Chocula, Frankenberry…and later additions, Frute Brute, Yummy Mummy (I know that has a completely different meaning to our British friends), and Carmella Creeper.

The first three are really the only ones serious aficionados care about.

What will happen is, that older box will stay around until the second box is about to go past its date, then she’ll open the first box, taste it, say, “These are stale now, yuck!” and throw it out, then she’ll open the second box, taste it, and say, “This one’s almost stale,” then she’ll eat a single bowl, and keep it until the next Halloween, buy a new box of Boo Berry, and we’ll start the process all over again.

We’ve been down this path before.

Monster cereals are the ones from the ‘60’s-‘70’s - Boo Berry, Count Chocula, Frankenberry…and later additions, Frute Brute, Yummy Mummy (I know that has a completely different meaning to our British friends), and Carmella Creeper.

What will happen is, that older box will stay around until the second box is about to go past its date, then she’ll open the first box, taste it, say, “These are stale now, yuck!” and throw it out, then she’ll open the second box, taste it, and say, “This one’s almost stale,” then she’ll eat a single bowl, and keep it until the next Halloween, buy a new box of Boo Berry, and we’ll start the process all over again.

Oh yes, I remember those brands. I didn't know that anyone called them "Monster" cereals, though it makes perfect sense.

I have never seen Carmella Creeper. Is that a new one?

Yes, introduced just last year. I think the flavor is caramel apple.
I hadn't heard of that one, nor had I heard of Yummy Mummy or Frute Brute. I thought Count Chocula was okay (basically cocoa puffs if I remember correctly--haven't eaten it in 50+ years). I never tried Booberry or Frankenberry but pretty sure I wouldn't like it which is why I never asked my mom to buy them.

I can only imagine that a Yummy Mummy in the UK would be sort of like a MILF over here...yikes.

And yes I would eat the Carmella Apple. Although what scary creature is Carmella supposed to be?

Just saw this one

images.jpg

I thought Count Chocula was okay (basically cocoa puffs if I remember correctly--haven't eaten it in 50+ years).
Here’s the problem - like everything else, they 🤬 up a good thing, and changed the recipe back in the ‘90’s, and now they taste nothing like they used to.

The cereal bits were…dense, like the ones in Lucky Charms, but flavored with whatever variety it was (blueberry, strawberry, or chocolate).

Now, they’re this really odd, light, airy thing that doesn’t even remotely taste like food. It’s horrible.

Yes, they have them all mixed together (Monster Mash) too.

Back
Top Bottom