Brexit strikes again

It's easy for an American to support Brexit but I did and still do. In the U.S. we have an overbearing and hugely oversized central government because the states have allowed themselves to be corrupted by money payments from the federal government. Currently more than 70% of government spending is unconstitutional based on the 10th amendment. The founders imagined a union of states with a limited federal government that would provide services to the states that were impractical to put in the states. These services are defense, international relations, a stable currency and the mediation of interstate conflicts. It hasn't worked out that way. It formed the departments of war, state, treasury and justice. Everything else belongs in the states according to the 10th. Well it provided for a postal system as well.

The EU was formed as a financial union and has morphed into what it is today which is much more than its founding purpose. The EU seems to have formed itself into an overbearing super government instead. I could have told you so. It happened here. I think brexit was the right thing to do. But of course I'm an outsider without all the interface that the Europeans have. I think the Brits did the right thing.

Sorry, Old Glory. I couldn't resist.
I respectfully disagree that Brexit was a good idea. The circumstances in our country are completely different than that of the UK. Here in the US we have an abundance of farmland for raising crops and animals for food. I believe that the UK doesn't have enough resources to support the population and needed the EU for that and many other reasons. That's probably only the tip of the iceberg from my very basic understanding of the situation.

Mod comment: Let’s not have this devolve into political discussion, please, as we all know that’s not what we do on this forum. I follow this rule:

Thoughts about the government?
Prob’ly best not to comment.

Thanks.

Mod comment: Let’s not have this devolve into political discussion, please, as we all know that’s not what we do on this forum. I follow this rule:

Thoughts about the government?
Prob’ly best not to comment.

Thanks.
Well I personally have no skin in the game and I am not informed enough to engage. I do believe the subject is Brexit, though, and that is a politically oriented topic, isn't it? We have in the past had political discussions that were not in food threads and were in threads designated for that sort of stuff.

Well I personally have no skin in the game and I am not informed enough to engage. I do believe the subject is Brexit, though, and that is a politically oriented topic, isn't it? We have in the past had political discussions that were not in food threads and were in threads designated for that sort of stuff.
From the first rule of the forum:

Please do not post anything inappropriate in this setting. This includes, but is not limited to, profanity, sexual, sexualised or illicit content, hateful, threatening, racist, political, provocative or vulgar content, and links to websites and discussions encouraging illegal activity. Please do not circumvent the censoring options we have set up.

We occasionally take a gentle approach with that, as long as things stay civil, which is why I made a preemptive comment about it, because this topic is quickly heading toward crossing the line.

How can you discuss Brexit without discussing poiltics? Brexit is nothing but politics!

My paperbag comment is agreed with by the vast majority of the population regardless of what team they choose as demonstrated by the election so it’s not politically divisive or provocative in anyway, promise!

How can you discuss Brexit without discussing poiltics? Brexit is nothing but politics!

Mod.comment: The topic of this thread is food post Brexit. In other words, 'what effect has Brexit had on growing, importation, exportation and distribution of food?' Of course, Brexit is a political issue but its important to stick to that topic.

Back
Top Bottom