Carrot Peeler: Is it really all that useful?

I use a carrot peeler all the time, mine also looks like Shermie's. I mainly peel things like apples, cucumbers, yams, and pears. I didn't use to peel things so much, but after having kids I started doing it when they were young (so as not to choke on a hard to chew peel) and I've stayed in the habit ever since. I don't know if it's true or not, but I also think it helps take off the part that was exposed to the most pesticides while growing (at least that's my train of thought).
pesticides are gross when it comes to vegetables! I try to avoid getting anything that isn't completely organically grown without pesticide, but sometimes it's really hard! I've never heard of a peeler getting rid of the pesticide but it's an interesting thought to take into consideration when choosing a peeler for anything like vegetables or potatoes.

I use a carrot peeler all the time, mine also looks like Shermie's. I mainly peel things like apples, cucumbers, yams, and pears. I didn't use to peel things so much, but after having kids I started doing it when they were young (so as not to choke on a hard to chew peel) and I've stayed in the habit ever since. I don't know if it's true or not, but I also think it helps take off the part that was exposed to the most pesticides while growing (at least that's my train of thought).

They are very nice to have on hand!! Less waste! :wink:

another great peeler is a julienne peeler,i love mine great for carrots........
jc.jpg

Attachments

• jc.jpg
    jc.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 229
another great peeler is a julienne peeler,i love mine great for carrots........
View attachment 802
C-can that do the same thing for potatoes? Because that lovely peeler would make such lovely string-like fries if it can! Well, there are also probably carrot fries but I'm less inclined to those. As for this particular peeler, I like how little danger it represents if someone other than me were to get ahold of it; I must admit I'm always worried my siblings will poke their eyes out with something or other sharp.

pesticides are gross when it comes to vegetables! I try to avoid getting anything that isn't completely organically grown without pesticide, but sometimes it's really hard! I've never heard of a peeler getting rid of the pesticide but it's an interesting thought to take into consideration when choosing a peeler for anything like vegetables or potatoes.
Don't forget to top & tail carrots, parsnips, turnips, for this reason. They intake at either end.
Will washing or peeling fruit and vegetables remove pesticide residues?
Washing and peeling may remove some pesticide residues. For example, conventionally grown citrus fruits are commonly treated with fungicides after harvest to prevent rotting, so the peel is likely to be contaminated, but there is much less contamination within the flesh. However, in other cases, pesticides may be present throughout the whole fruit or vegetable. Processing, including cooking, can also reduce residues, but may not eliminate them completely; nevertheless, it is important to include plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables in the diet.

Don't forget to top & tail carrots, parsnips, turnips, for this reason. They intake at either end.
Will washing or peeling fruit and vegetables remove pesticide residues?
Washing and peeling may remove some pesticide residues. For example, conventionally grown citrus fruits are commonly treated with fungicides after harvest to prevent rotting, so the peel is likely to be contaminated, but there is much less contamination within the flesh. However, in other cases, pesticides may be present throughout the whole fruit or vegetable. Processing, including cooking, can also reduce residues, but may not eliminate them completely; nevertheless, it is important to include plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables in the diet.
on my advanced food hygiene course i did a case study on washing salad leaves in water or a pre soak tablet solution and one of the key out comes was if the product is highly contaminated as was a batch of lettuces bought through a bristol market that was grown in contaminated human feces!!! no matter what you do they will still contain dangerous amounts of harmful bacteria which will never be killed by the cooking process

on my advanced food hygiene course i did a case study on washing salad leaves in water or a pre soak tablet solution and one of the key out comes was if the product is highly contaminated as was a batch of lettuces bought through a bristol market that was grown in contaminated human feces!!! no matter what you do they will still contain dangerous amounts of harmful bacteria which will never be killed by the cooking process
"Topping & Tailing" does however remove the two most heavily contaminated ends. Everything goes in one or the other.

"Topping & Tailing" does however remove the two most heavily contaminated ends. Everything goes in one or the other.
yes !this is true and i have a habit of doing the topping and tailing after peeling as a matter of course,i do use pre wash tablets a s a matter of due diligence at work,if the worst happens I've done my bit ,as carrots get used in some cold salad garnishes,where there is no cooking process involved

yes !this is true and i have a habit of doing the topping and tailing after peeling as a matter of course,i do use pre wash tablets as a matter of due diligence at work,if the worst happens I've done my bit ,as carrots get used in some cold salad garnishes,where there is no cooking process involved
I top and tail before peeling. Avoids anything going on the now open surface.

I top and tail before peeling. Avoids anything going on the now open surface.
Yes !I considered that ,but I have got used to doing it afterwards,I was having a conversation last week regards Washing products and if you know the providence and can look at the food chain ,many risks are reduced,a reputable nominated supplier gives you confidence of this,soil born bacteria are nasty but majority can be destroyed by the cooking process,
I think the whole thing about theese type of threads is to make people think about the risks and make them aware of any dangers

It is useful and not expensive. It really helps me when am in hurry. Maybe I will try out the other method. How many types of peelers are there in the market? I have been using one type for sometime now.

It is useful and not expensive. It really helps me when am in hurry. Maybe I will try out the other method. How many types of peelers are there in the market? I have been using one type for sometime now.
Handheld, at least five not including a simple knife.

I can come up with a potato peeler, an apple peeler, veg peeler but the only 'version' I use is a paring knife!

However, Wiki names them differently with there with a fixed blade peeler, a straight peeler, an Australian peeler and a Y peeler plus the only one I use which is a paring knife! There are also industrial peelers...
Then the straight peeler seems to come in a couple of variations,
A straight peeler has the blade parallel to the handle, resembling a knife. The blade may be fixed or pivoting. The Lancashire and French Econome designs contain a fixed blade which does not pivot. The Lancashire often has a round wooden handle wrapped in string, and is often single edged, though there are dual edged variants. The Econome has a unique blade design with two slits.
From there the swivel peeler also seems to have another variation called the Jonas Peeler which was apparently the standard type of peeler in the USA and the Y peeler has a variant called the Zena Rex Peeler... no idea...
see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peeler

and all of that has lead me to a tutorial on how to peel carrots!

Back
Top Bottom