Cast iron or non stick ?

your kidding right ? we won't have any other kind , saves a lot of work when its finished all we do is wipe it with a damp paper towel and its done
They’re not very common in Europe/UK, either, I don’t think. I remember we had a discussion about self-cleaning ovens on here before, and it was largely something Americans have. It’s very hard to buy one here without that feature.

They’re not very common in Europe/UK, either, I don’t think. I remember we had a discussion about self-cleaning ovens on here before, and it was largely something Americans have. It’s very hard to buy one here without that feature.
I love my dual fuel unit with a stovetop that is gas and an electric oven. I honestly don't use my self-cleaning oven feature that much because it sets off the smoke alarms, and in parts of the summer, it's too hot to have windows open and certain parts of the winter it's too cold...

I love my dual fuel unit with a stovetop that is gas and an electric oven. I honestly don't use my self-cleaning oven feature that much because it sets off the smoke alarms, and in parts of the summer, it's too hot to have windows open and certain parts of the winter it's too cold...
I probably run mine twice a year, and it’s mainly to clean my whopper pizza stone that permanently resides in oven.

I’m sure I mentioned it in the older topic, but that’s something some dedicated home pizza chefs take advantage of - the self-cleaning cycle gets up over 900F/500C, so the door locks as a safety feature (can’t be face-melting any kiddos out there…).

Well, that happens to be perfect true pizza oven temps, so some folks will break that latch, start the cleaning cycle, then make pizza once it reaches temp.

Me: “Hey, look what I just read on my pizza forum! Did you know you can get proper pizza oven temps out of your home oven by running a self-clean cycle and breakin-“

MrsT: “Nope. Think again. Not happening.”

I'm all for cast iron! It's such a classic, tried-and-true material. Cast iron pans are sturdy, long-lasting, perfect for even heating and retaining heat.

Yeah I don't recall them from Europe either.

And yes to gas top electric oven, but since I run on solar, it's gas and gas.
And for pizza: it's an uuni (ooni)

I have cast iron and non-stick. I like them both but I always seem to have the non-stick in my hand rather than the cast iron so I suppose my subconscious has voted loud and clear 😂
The older I get, the more I realize how heavy those cast iron pans are. Granted my regular cookware are solid and heavy as well, but when I pull out my monster cast iron (covers several burners, not sure of how many inches that beast is) it takes 2 hands. But I love searing steak in cast iron in my oven when grilling outside isn't happening (grilling outside rarely happens unfortunately).
Well, that happens to be perfect true pizza oven temps, so some folks will break that latch, start the cleaning cycle, then make pizza once it reaches temp.

Me: “Hey, look what I just read on my pizza forum! Did you know you can get proper pizza oven temps out of your home oven by running a self-clean cycle and breakin-“

MrsT: “Nope. Think again. Not happening.”
That's fantastic to know but I am not breaking the latch...I'd rather just get a pizza oven. Because I always need some new gadget to clutter up my kitchen.

The older I get, the more I realize how heavy those cast iron pans are. Granted my regular cookware are solid and heavy as well, but when I pull out my monster cast iron (covers several burners, not sure of how many inches that beast is) it takes 2 hands. But I love searing steak in cast iron in my oven when grilling outside isn't happening (grilling outside rarely happens unfortunately).
Yep they are heavy and I think that’s why I end up with the non-stick ones in my paws rather than cast iron.

That's fantastic to know but I am not breaking the latch...I'd rather just get a pizza oven. Because I always need some new gadget to clutter up my kitchen.
Ditto!

Yeah it really does. We've got quite a lot of international folks here. I like to read about what they cook, how they do it, where they're from, etc.

Badjak is a bit of a badass, in my opinion. She grows a garden, brews beer, has a cool Indonesian and Dutch heritage, and can speak/read more than one language. She's got lots of posts about her food and I've noticed she likes to grill and smoke food outdoors frequently. So cool.
She certainly is.
And this made me laugh a fair bit because I didn’t know if badjak was male or female and I think over a period of time after seeing the bad ass lifestyle and a certain attractive robustness of character I without thinking decided she was probably a he.

Then the other day there was a badjak post with a rather nice pair of calves showing and in response I wrote “You have a woman’s legs m’lord” then deleted it as the penny oh so slowly dropped that the womens legs probably belonged to a woman 😂

The older I get, the more I realize how heavy those cast iron pans are.
That’s why, anything I’ve got to lift and manipulate, I use the nonstick. That’s the whole reason I got rid of my bigger cast iron Dutch ovens and went with enameled carbon steel. Cooks just as well, much lighter, and if I really want to…dishwasher-safe.

She certainly is.
And this made me laugh a fair bit because I didn’t know if badjak was male or female and I think over a period of time after seeing the bad ass lifestyle and a certain attractive robustness of character I without thinking decided she was probably a he.

Then the other day there was a badjak post with a rather nice pair of calves showing and in response I wrote “You have a woman’s legs m’lord” then deleted it as the penny oh so slowly dropped that the womens legs probably belonged to a woman 😂
Yeah, I had made the mistake myself and she politely and gently corrected me. She lives a bold lifestyle for sure. Not that there aren't a few others here that complete daily tasks that make me look like a total wuss, LOL!

Yeah I don't recall them from Europe either.

And yes to gas top electric oven, but since I run on solar, it's gas and gas.
And for pizza: it's an uuni (ooni)
Perhaps one day you can share your recipe for wildebeest steaks. :wink: Calm down, I'm just kidding.

I have this, two size cast iron skillets & a chicken fryer. :whistling:
Cast iron Dutch Oven with bail handle..jpg

Back
Top Bottom