Chopping gadgets: any objections?

Does anyone have any objection to such tools? Here's one (refer to photo) my mum uses for onions and it's crazy fast.
I've got one; or rather, my wife's got one, and it's very efficient and fast. However, sometimes I want my vegetables julienned, or my onions cut into half moons, or in big chunks. If I'm making an onion/cashew nut base for an Indian chicken dish, for example, I just chop the onions into chunks - and the gadget you show doesn't do that for me.
to answer your question again - no objection at all. Whatever makes it easier for your cooking. What do you like to cook?

I agree with TastyReuben - I’m not a fan of gadgets that only do one thing, when I can just as easily use a cutting board and chef’s knife for the same task.

I was chopping up 3 heads of cabbage to make sauerkraut once, and my husband suggested using the food processor to speed things up. By the time we’d hauled the thing out, found the right blade, chopped the cabbage up small enough to fit through the feed tube, and then cleaned it up afterwards- chopping by hand is faster and easier. I went back to that.

I also have limited storage space in my kitchen so I’m not a huge fan of using precious space to store gadgets that only do one thing.

All that having been said - I think everyone should use whatever suits them best. Although I would avoid using a chainsaw to mince garlic.

I just cleaned the apt. If I were to go out & buy all those gadgets, the place would be all junked up again! I'm ok with just a few gadgets. Who on earth would want to have all that clutter in the kitchen? Not me!!! I'm giving away a FoodSaver-style vacuum sealer that I no longer want. I'll bring it downstairs & hope that someone picks it up. :stop:

I agree with TastyReuben - I’m not a fan of gadgets that only do one thing, when I can just as easily use a cutting board and chef’s knife for the same task.

I was chopping up 3 heads of cabbage to make sauerkraut once, and my husband suggested using the food processor to speed things up. By the time we’d hauled the thing out, found the right blade, chopped the cabbage up small enough to fit through the feed tube, and then cleaned it up afterwards- chopping by hand is faster and easier. I went back to that.

I also have limited storage space in my kitchen so I’m not a huge fan of using precious space to store gadgets that only do one thing.

All that having been said - I think everyone should use whatever suits them best. Although I would avoid using a chainsaw to mince garlic.
I agree. Our storage has a number unused gadgets. One that comes to mind is the rice cooker. It is not faster nor easier than a covered sauce pan and measuring cup so it gets no use at all here. I have a bread machine also that I have used twice. It won't make baguettes and it isn't any easier than a flat pan and an oven. Another is the garlic press. I can mince garlic with a knife just as easily and it's much easier to clean.

I agree. Our storage has a number unused gadgets. One that comes to mind is the rice cooker. It is not faster nor easier than a covered sauce pan and measuring cup so it gets no use at all here. I have a bread machine also that I have used twice. It won't make baguettes and it isn't any easier than a flat pan and an oven. Another is the garlic press. I can mince garlic with a knife just as easily and it's much easier to clean.
The rice cooker comes in handy if you are making sushi for several people. Other than that I agree. I am usually just cooking for 2 so I make it on the stovetop.

The rice cooker comes in handy if you are making sushi for several people. Other than that I agree. I am usually just cooking for 2 so I make it on the stovetop.
I have pots that will hold more than a rice cooker but I get your point. Sadly I don't make sushi since my wife won't eat it.

I have pots that will hold more than a rice cooker but I get your point. Sadly I don't make sushi since my wife won't eat it.
I too have several pots that are waaaaay bigger than my rice cooker, but when I'm making sushi there's lot of othe stuff going on and the rice cooker is so much easier. My DH didn't like sushi when we met but I fixed that!

I have the same one as you I think: the Rolls Royce of garlic presses. But these days I never use it. A microplane or knife is much easier to clean in my opinion.

Review by SatNavSaysStraightOn

Review - WMF Profi Plus Garlic Press Review
I don't have the dexterity for a microplane.

I've had a hard enough time over the years keeping just the knuckles on my fingers (having cut 2 off, once with a pair of scissors and the other with a pen knife). So we don't have one. I can slice very finely with a knife when I want to, if I want to.

Slap Chopis ok, but mine is bigger & can chop larger quantities. Mine also comes completely apart for cleaning. I don't touch the blade for fear of cutting myself, but putting it under running hot water right away when done gets it sparkling clean! I just let it dry naturally afterwards, then put it back together & put it away where it belongs. Bang, boom, done!!! :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom