Commercials you Love Or Hate

My favorite reaction:

You know how free streaming services run the same ad over and over? We were watching something on one of them, and the ad every break was for the manscaping trimmer set.

Of course, the manly man never straight out said what it was for, just lots of innuendo, and after the third or fourth time, MrsT (who was only half paying attention during the breaks) blurted out:

Is that idiot talking about shaving his balls?!)

:laugh:
Yeah, the one's on the radio are even better, as the dude's voice gets a little higher at the end of the sentence as he says, "And under THERE..."

I see an ad frequently that asks me to contact my representative to stop government from hurting small businesses by banning some technology. They don't tell me what the technology is or why they are worried. They don't even say who they are. Waste money much?

How about the car commercials that don't tell me what makes their brand the one to choose. Instead they just suggest that I will impress people if I drive one. I'm not talking about Ferrari ads just ads for normal brands. They certainly don't target their commercials at me. I drive a car to arrive where I want to go not to impress anybody. The best car for me is one that does that with impeccable reliability.

As JAS_OH1 says, theyā€™re cartoon spokesbears for Charmin toilet paper.

Back when they first started, they were fine and kind of cute, because it was just standard advertising with the unspoken nod that bears are experts in ā€œthat department,ā€ based on the old saying.

But as time has gone by, theyā€™ve pushed and pushed the wink-wink-nudge-nudge and have become more overt, as Charmin has done with their other marketing. Later ads have baby bear saying how clean and fresh he feels, while sticking his cartoon butt straight in the camera so we can all see heā€™s not lying.

Their most facepalmy one to me was an ad campaign that ran simultaneously to the bears - it was styled after those ā€œman on the streetā€ interviews.

At first, it sort of played into the ridiculousness of it - interviewer asks unsuspecting people whether they truly enjoy their bathroom experience, then when they admit they donā€™t really, he recommends Charmin.

It quickly descended into a cheery, plucky woman doing the interviewing (British, no less, because that makes it all proper ok), and she poses the question, then hands them a roll of Charmin, directs them to the nearest public toilet, then waits outside while they go in (and in some ads, continues to talk to them), do their dirty business, then come out and enthusiastically say what a truly wonderful time they had in there.
Ah we get charmin toilet paper here too but no ads for it that I've seen. Television ads almost completely disappeared, just two channels and YouTube seemed to have them and those you can pay to skip.
Amazon has just brought them back but they do annoy everyone so I'm not sure the products are really doing themselves any favours.

I can't remember the last time I saw an ad apart from on YouTube and that one drove me up the pole.
Because I opted out of all the optional cookies and targeted advertising I had to watch the same awful learn to play the piano ad over and over again. I'm certain it was deliberately terrible to make you accept their terms šŸ˜†

Adverts back in the 80's and 90's competed to be as humorous as possible so there were some very funny ones that were often better than the programmes šŸ˜†

But those days are long gone. The list of things that are now banned from being advertised in the UK is absolutely huge. Essentially anything thats deemed that it may cause harm is a no-
Religion or other belief systems, politics, tobacco, alcohol, a lot of foods, anything at all aimed at children, weapons or anything that looks like a weapon, financial products, instructional courses, medicines and medical devices to name a few.

Now the majority of ads are simply advertising yet another programme!

Edit: I think Facebook does a lot of advertising but I don't use it other than very occasionally to look up a business so I don't know šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

Last edited:
I haven't heard that one.

Yes, Charmin is a super soft TP. I am thinking they started using the cartoon bears in the ads because of the on-running US joke "does a bear ch!t in the woods" which I guess is the (stupid) response if someone asks you a stupid question.
That phrase is used here too. Along with - Is the pope catholic? and a mix of the two - Does the Pope sh*t in the woods?

The latter one I like because it's taking the mickey out of the first two, and the person asking the daft question or making the daft statement is always confused about whether the OP is saying yes or no.
That often leads to a protracted conversation where no-one knows what anyone is talking about but the English have always have a penchant for the absurd, especially if it involves using words to create confusion, it's a popular form of humour here to lead someone up the garden path or deliberately muddle a conversation before laughing at the mess you've created šŸ˜†

Last edited:
I've got absolutely no idea what a manscaping trimmer set involves, but it sounds like some sort of sadistic dance routine.
Generally, I turn my mind off when the ads come on.
ā€œManscapingā€ is a play on the word/concept of ā€œlandscapingā€ - tidying up your *cough* personal area to make everything more presentable.

Hereā€™s one such subtle ad:

View: https://youtu.be/vYS__QY6-iw?si=3C7wbBxqt-MeGI--

especially if it involves using words to create confusion, it's a popular form of humour here to lead someone up the garden path or deliberately muddle a conversation before laughing at the mess you've created šŸ˜†
When we lived in Minnesota, there was a retired NFL football player who hosted various local radio and TV shows, and that sort of thing was his stock-in-trade.

He continually intentionally mix sayings like that, coming up with things like, ā€œWell, heā€™s not the brightest bulb in the drawer,ā€ or the conflation, ā€œObviously not the sharpest knife on the tree,ā€ and people loved it.

He even had one to suit you - ā€œA few sandwiches short of a full deck,ā€ transposed with ā€œA few cards short of a picnic.ā€ :laugh:

ā€œManscapingā€ is a play on the word/concept of ā€œlandscapingā€ - tidying up your *cough* personal area to make everything more presentable.

Hereā€™s one such subtle ad:

View: https://youtu.be/vYS__QY6-iw?si=3C7wbBxqt-MeGI--
I honestly donā€™t know a single woman who likes manscaping.
Men are (and Iā€™m sorry to be sounding so sexist here) renowned for leaving a messy bathroom in their wake and manscaping is a mess making disaster.

I wonā€™t go into any details here because itā€™s definitely an after the watershed topic itā€™s bad enough getting stubble burn without other areas joining in the attack! šŸ˜‚

Last edited:
I honestly donā€™t know a single woman who likes manscaping.
Men are (and Iā€™m sorry to be sounding so sexist here) renowned for leaving a messy bathroom in their quake and manscaping is a mess making disaster.

I wonā€™t go into any details here because itā€™s definitely an after the watershed topic itā€™s bad enough getting stubble burn without other areas joining in the attack! šŸ˜‚
My DH does his 'scaping in the shower (obviously not an electric trimmer). I'm happy for him being neat and tidy. No stubble issues anywhere because he has silky hair and he can't really grow a mustache or beard--he's tried but it's patchy at best, lol.

My DH does his 'scaping in the shower (obviously not an electric trimmer). I'm happy for him being neat and tidy. No stubble issues anywhere because he has silky hair and he can't really grow a mustache or beard--he's tried but it's patchy at best, lol.
So now I know one!
I think maybe it might be one of those things that varies by age and country.
In my age group a man uses a bar of soap (or shower gel) for pretty much everything and wouldnā€™t use a moisturiser until something is so dry itā€™s cracked and theres no alternative!
The height of self care stops at washing, brushing their teeth and shaving if they have to šŸ˜‚

But the younger generation of men here do a lot more.

Back
Top Bottom