Do you like/dislike aubergine (eggplant)?

Maybe a pizza could change your mind TastyReuben and SandwichShortOfAPicnic and JAS_OH1:

1719338662291.png

Recipe - Roasted Pepper, Aubergine & Spinach Pizza with Taleggio

once upon a history dreary . . . we lived near Vineland, NJ - which proclaims itself to be the "Eggplant Capitol of the World"

there was a local eatery that served nothing that was not eggplant....
their best offering - which I was very fond of . . . - is the "eggplant sub"

peeled, thickish rounds of breaded eggplant, fried, cut in half, 'inserted' into a (long) sliced sub roll, thence drowned in a tomato sauce.
many variable here - but this place had them down:
- good sub roll / bread
- very good breading seasoning for the fry bit
- very very good tomato sauce.

I do an eggplant parm - we do enjoy it
1719342943673.png

I grew up hating aubergines because of the way my ex-step-father cooked them. Then I had them in a dish at a restaurant and was blown away with them. Since then, I even try to grow my own. However, the one thing I don't do is cook them with a lot of oil. I'll use the minimum I can get away with.

Did you know you can eat aubergines raw?

For those who like antipasti; slice some aubergines really thin, into strips, and soak overnight in salt. Squeeze them out, wash off the excess salt, then dump them in red wine vinegar, again overnight. The following day, squeeze out the excess vinegar and add abundant olive oil, half a dozen cloves of garlic, black peppercorns, oregano.... and bottle. Leave for 2-3 weeks and you have antipasto alla nonna!

I'd be picking off that funky-looking soft slimy stuff (eggplant) and then it would probably taste great! Much of it is a textural thing with me, which is why when I made those eggplant chips/crisps it wasn't horrible but way too much work to make something I am not crazy about marginally acceptable to eat. And I could detect the flavor when I put eggplant in my salmon cream cheese dip and it had a weird mouthfeel as well.

You may have a valid point there on why "we" don't like things. It's not so much a taste thing, perhaps, as to how it feels when it's in your mouth! I'm happy with soft, or slimy - what I can't take is chewy and rubbery.
(And I was just about to add to that, but I could be censored :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: )

Back
Top Bottom