Drinking straws

Same.
But really I prefer the plastic disposable ones. Probably because that's what I grew up with.
Heyho.
That's what I use but I have just 5 of them and they go through the dishwasher and get reused again and again. I've used the same 5 straws for the last 5 years - they are indestructible! Which is why if course they are so bad for the environment.

That's what I use but I have just 5 of them and they go through the dishwasher and get reused again and again. I've used the same 5 straws for the last 5 years - they are indestructible! Which is why if course they are so bad for the environment.
That reminds me of my extremely frugal mom - when I was a kid, she asked my dad if he could somehow get (read “steal”) a big box of plastic cups for home use. He worked for a soft drinks company and they had a warehouse full of stuff like that, for county fairs and sporting events.

Her rationale was that she was getting worn out and spending too much time washing dishes for 8-10 people, no dishwasher back then, and the cups would really help, because she could just pitch them, single-use style (hey, it was the ‘70’s).

Easy enough to do, so Dad would brought home a giant box of thousands of plastic cups, maybe 8-10 ounce in size.

Did it help lessen the load on Mom? Of course not, because she looked at those cups and immediately thought, “Them’s good cups…too good to throw out. I can wash ‘em and use ‘em again. Waste not want not…” - and that’s what she did. She just moved from washing regular drinking glasses to washing plastic cups. :laugh:

That reminds me of my extremely frugal mom - when I was a kid, she asked my dad if he could somehow get (read “steal”) a big box of plastic cups for home use. He worked for a soft drinks company and they had a warehouse full of stuff like that, for county fairs and sporting events.

Her rationale was that she was getting worn out and spending too much time washing dishes for 8-10 people, no dishwasher back then, and the cups would really help, because she could just pitch them, single-use style (hey, it was the ‘70’s).

Easy enough to do, so Dad would brought home a giant box of thousands of plastic cups, maybe 8-10 ounce in size.

Did it help lessen the load on Mom? Of course not, because she looked at those cups and immediately thought, “Them’s good cups…too good to throw out. I can wash ‘em and use ‘em again. Waste not want not…” - and that’s what she did. She just moved from washing regular drinking glasses to washing plastic cups. :laugh:
Those plastic cups are great for when you want to take a drink with you somewhere but but don't want to worry about remembering to bring home your nice Stanley or Yeti.

Some places will give you a paper straw when you order something to drink. I hate those!!! :ninja:

The whole idea of plastic straws is that you use them, and throw them away.
I'd never dream of re-using one.
Of course, that has all changed through our collective environmental conscience - and a Texas-sized island dump of plastics in the north Pacific.

The whole idea of plastic straws is that you use them, and throw them away.
I'd never dream of re-using one.
Of course, that has all changed through our collective environmental conscience - and a Texas-sized island dump of plastics in the north Pacific.
They honestly don't degrade with washing in the dishwasher and can be reused multiple times - just as one would reuse plastic food containers.

Back
Top Bottom