Electric kettles across the world

…and MrsT has just informed me I need to find and purchase a flight-friendly mini kettle for our trip to Pennsylvania in December. We usually drive, so the bigger travel kettle isn’t an issue, but we’re flying this year and it’s too big to pack.

…and MrsT has just informed me I need to find and purchase a flight-friendly mini kettle for our trip to Pennsylvania in December. We usually drive, so the bigger travel kettle isn’t an issue, but we’re flying this year and it’s too big to pack.
Is it getting checked or is it carryon?

Is it getting checked or is it carryon?
Probably checked, but she’s already given me very specific instructions on how small it has to be. I showed her one that I liked that boiled 600ml of water, so 2.5 cups, more or less, perfect for our nightly cuppa, complete with a picture of it packed in a suitcase, and she said, “No! Too big! Pay attention!” :laugh:

Probably checked, but she’s already given me very specific instructions on how small it has to be. I showed her one that I liked that boiled 600ml of water, so 2.5 cups, more or less, perfect for our nightly cuppa, complete with a picture of it packed in a suitcase, and she said, “No! Too big! Pay attention!” :laugh:
You can't get much smaller. I thought my 1.5 liter was/is small.

You can't get much smaller. I thought my 1.5 liter was/is small.
They do have ones that go down to around 300ml, but that means two rounds for two cups, and because they’re so small, boil times are s l o w - like in the 5-7min range. She’d be done with her tea by the time I was pouring mine.

They do have ones that go down to around 300ml, but that means two rounds for two cups, and because they’re so small, boil times are s l o w - like in the 5-7min range. She’d be done with her tea by the time I was pouring mine.
You need a bigger suitcase then, and it won't look as big!

Yeah my 1.5 boils much faster. Maybe you will just have to present facts and reason with her on this one.

Bigger is better because they all have a safety cut out fitted (unless yours is a made in back water ch*na thing, then you may just have a little fire) and that means the first one boils ok but the second go - nope, there's 15-20 mins cool down time for the pathetic little element.
By the time that's happened the first cup of tea/coffee drinker is ready for a second 🤣

So bigger is better because unlike a tiny one you can pack a lot of things inside it, including decent sized travel mugs.

You also get the option for second cup in a reasonable time span cos there's no ridiculous cool down time.

My one and only cup of tea each day just gets my eyelids open and helps me to form a complete sentence.
If I don't have tea in the morning, I transmogrify into a wild, extraterrestrial beast with 5 heads, antlers, 14 tentacles and spikes all over my body.
Once I've had my tea, everything is back to normal.

There is something called a fish kettle in the UK.
It's like a vat then? That's what they cook those commercial kettle chips in.
Apart from a thing you boil water in for tea or what have you, a kettle is also just a generic term for a pot.
I think I vaguely remember in old movies about homesteaders and settlers in the US ( portraying life in the 1800s) they referred to cooking in a kettle over an open fire or in the fireplace, but haven't heard anyone refer to a pot as a kettle, other than my grandma saying some odd thing like "pot calls kettle black" (referring to someone who was being hypocritical).

IMG_2798.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom