Empanada pastry recipe??

No. Empanada not very common here
Look good though :)

Russ
They are very common here (unsurprisingly it's Spain after all) and all it does is make Mr SSOAP fancy a pasty which they don't do here 😂
There's about one week's grace before he starts mentioning how much he fancies a pasty 😆

Talking of Empañadas, I posted a photo of the big slabs of pastry filled with things like tuna and chicken on the shelves in the supermarket stored at ambient temperatures with no instructions on them a while ago.

IMG_2825.jpeg

Apparently they're large empañada's and there are exceptions made for traditional foods that go against modern food standards.
Because of the temperature they're cooked at they class them as starting off sterile and can leave them out for the afternoon, in theory it's four hours, in reality it's a lot longer and that's fine by everyone here.

As someone pointed out there were no refrigerators not that long ago and people knew how long they could leave different foods out before they went bad. A skill that apparently we've lost.

However I have to caveat that with the fact that Spain has a more cases of food poisoning than other countries like the UK 😂

Talking of Empañadas, I posted a photo of the big slabs of pastry filled with things like tuna and chicken on the shelves in the supermarket stored at ambient temperatures with no instructions on them a while ago.

View attachment 115114
Apparently they're large empañada's and there are exceptions made for traditional foods that go against modern food standards.
Because of the temperature they're cooked at they class them as starting off sterile and can leave them out for the afternoon, in theory it's four hours, in reality it's a lot longer and that's fine by everyone here.

As someone pointed out there were no refrigerators not that long ago and people knew how long they could leave different foods out before they went bad. A skill that apparently we've lost.

However I have to caveat that with the fact that Spain has a more cases of food poisoning than other countries like the UK 😂

I too am aware of the time thing. Especially with chicken.

Russ

I promise I'll post our Venezuelan empanada recipe, rascal . Just that I'm with the family and they keep taking us to parties, cook outs, God knows what... :D :D Yesterday was pizza and hotdogs; today was burgers, hotdogs and corn.
I will say, though, that empanada (which literally means "breaded"in Spanish) pastry varies wildly from country to country: as does the format. In Spain, an Empanada Gallega is more like a pie. In Argentina and Chile, it's like a Cornish Pasty, is baked and uses shortcrust pastry. In Venezuela and Colombia, our empanadas are fried and usually made with corn flour (UK: think polenta) and wheat flour. I've got my recipe folders with me so I'll post them, and include the most common fillings.

I promise I'll post our Venezuelan empanada recipe, rascal . Just that I'm with the family and they keep taking us to parties, cook outs, God knows what... :D :D Yesterday was pizza and hotdogs; today was burgers, hotdogs and corn.
I will say, though, that empanada (which literally means "breaded"in Spanish) pastry varies wildly from country to country: as does the format. In Spain, an Empanada Gallega is more like a pie. In Argentina and Chile, it's like a Cornish Pasty, is baked and uses shortcrust pastry. In Venezuela and Colombia, our empanadas are fried and usually made with corn flour (UK: think polenta) and wheat flour. I've got my recipe folders with me so I'll post them, and include the most common fillings.
I think amongst all that lovely knowledge I'm more impressed that you've gone away with your recipe folders 😆
Didn't mention that in the what do you pack thread did you 🤣

Earwig ho, then.
Empanadas & Fillings
Empanadas are street food in Venezuela. you can find stands all over the place; and they're even more popular at the beach. I've suggested the most common versions, but you can basically fill them with what ever you want. A local restaurant had an "Empanada" month once, and asked dozens of chefs, cooks, journalists and local personalities to submit their options. Amazing , creative recipes came flooding in, including black pudding and mango, artichoke and bacon, grilled veg with mozzarella, slow-cooked back ribs with tomatoes, pulled pork, etc.
The important thing for me, at least, is that the empanadas are deep-fried. That gives them a crispy coating and a soft filling. Chilean and Argentinian empanadas are different animals altogether.

Earwig ho, then.
Empanadas & Fillings
Empanadas are street food in Venezuela. you can find stands all over the place; and they're even more popular at the beach. I've suggested the most common versions, but you can basically fill them with what ever you want. A local restaurant had an "Empanada" month once, and asked dozens of chefs, cooks, journalists and local personalities to submit their options. Amazing , creative recipes came flooding in, including black pudding and mango, artichoke and bacon, grilled veg with mozzarella, slow-cooked back ribs with tomatoes, pulled pork, etc.
The important thing for me, at least, is that the empanadas are deep-fried. That gives them a crispy coating and a soft filling. Chilean and Argentinian empanadas are different animals altogether.
Just imagine it - the turquoise sea, warm sand, and the smell of freshly fried empanadas in the air. Doesn't that sound like pure paradise?😍

I'm sorry I didn't think of this web site before the show came on TV just now. I know it's kind of late, but for future reference?

Recipes - Pati Jinich

She is Mexican and has several empanada recipes on her site. I've not made her empanada recipes but the other recipes I've made of hers have always been good to great.

Ta, I'll have a look later. :)

Russ

Back
Top Bottom