Fig leaves

Timenspace

Legendary Member
Local time
4:15 AM
A local restaurant revealed its weekend menu.

It features fig leaves infused butter.

From what I gather it is used for syrup, baking, wrapping, infused salt, tea... Have you used fig leaves?

fig leaves were for eating...
Indeed, it surprised me too, substantially. But then, I am no measure, as there's plenty I don't know.

Just watched fig leaf syrup and fig leaf panna cotta...

Curious to try...

Cheers.

I'd never have imagined using fig leaves to eat.
However, when you come to think of it, many cuisines use leaves to flavour their food.
S. America: Banana or plantain leaves
India: Curry leaves
Mexico: Avocado leaves
Indonesia/ Thailand: pandan leaves
Mediterranean: grape leaves
Thailand: lime leaves

had no idea I could eat the leaves off my fig trees
It is a surprise, isn't it? Youtube is full of all kinds of fig leaf recipes...I watched a high end Uk chef, whose name I forget sadly, who made a ' milk veil' using fig leaves...he is a cooking magician! He used all sorts of edible flowers and then the milk veil...

And there was a home cook lady who tried recreating an ancient Greek recipe ( did not check the source) of a dough mixture, wrapped in blanched fig leaves, cooked in honey water...

Then,the emerald green colour that a syrup or oil can retain is mindblowing!

many cuisines use leaves to flavour their food.
So true, yes, I feel inspired to try some recipes, as I love vine leaves, no reason I wouldn't love fig leaves...

Was looking to find a 'quick' sour salty brine recipe for savoury dishes fig leaf recipes...will continue to search...

Last week I found,well, spotted,rather,a fig tree on an abandoned parcel of land. I picked up 3 leaves.
Back home, I smelled them first, however it was petrol fumed, and I feared they were not the best choice to eat. So I trashed them.

Nb. Not the fig's fault, the tree was near a busy roaf, sorry I was unclear. Will look for a cleaner surrounding.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom