French fries, buy them or make them ?

grumpyoldman

Local time
9:32 PM
its easier to just buy them but homemade are better , its a lot of prep, to make good fries but its worth it , what do you do ?

I got no real choice as fries are soggy here as a rule, so I make them and generally double fry
If I would be back in Europe, I would probably just buy them

making home fries is one of those things that seem simple to do but really isn't, not if you want really good fries , the only thing i can't get right is getting the coating to stick on the fries when i try to make seasoned fries

the way we make reg. fries is we always use Russet potatoes , then cut them into 1/4 x1/4 peices then rinse the starch off ,then put them in a bowel and cover them with a mixture of white vinager and water set them in the fridge for a couple of hours after that par fry them at 250 degrees for 5 minutes , take them out and let them drain and then freeze them in a freezer bag then just take them out and finish frying anytime you want them

I like to make homemade chips. Use the mandolin to slice Russets, usually since those are the ones I always have on hand, super thin, soak in hot salted water, as hot water will draw out the starch faster and better than cold, then drain, pat dry, and fry, salting and tossing as soon as they come out.

I generally buy frozen fries, either steak fries, crinkle cut, or curly fries, so I only have to fry once.

Salt only for me on any kind of fried potato, a little pepper on home fries. Can't stand seasoned fries.

potato chips are a bear to make !! they are fine if you eat them as soon as you make em but i could never get them to stay crispy more than a few minutes

I rarely have french fries, I’m not a huge fan, I don’t dislike them, they’re just not my first choice. They have to be fried and eaten fresh from the fryer at speed because they seem to go cold and lose their crispiness so quickly.
I tend to buy frozen gastro pub chips, they are triple cooked with beef dripping, big fat crispy jobs which remind me of a rectangular roast potato 😂

I think of chips as junk food and I love most of them!

up until the late 70s all the fast food joints used beef tallo to fry their fries in then the goverment made them go to 100% vegtable oil, the fries haven't been the same since

At least 30 minutes, but usually longer since I like to prep earlier in the day. Water doesn't have to stay hot, out of tap hot BTW, just hit at beginning
This is quite new to me, thank you.
Am willing to try next time...
What does it do?
Makes them crispier?

Me too.
I rarely have french fries, I’m not a huge fan, I don’t dislike them, they’re just not my first choice. They have to be fried and eaten fresh from the fryer at speed because they seem to go cold and lose their crispiness so quickly.
I tend to buy frozen gastro pub chips, they are triple cooked with beef dripping, big fat crispy jobs which remind me of a rectangular roast potato 😂

I think of chips as junk food and I love most of them!
But they go really well with Mexican salsa and margaritas, LOL!

JK, I wouldn't know, joke based on a forum exchange with SSNO awhile back. But actually I bet it would taste pretty good, especially after a pitcher of margaritas!

potato chips are a bear to make !! they are fine if you eat them as soon as you make em but i could never get them to stay crispy more than a few minutes
We call them "frips" (fried chips) and yeah, they don't like to stay crunchy but upon reheat in the toaster oven or air fryer they regain the crisp texture.

Back
Top Bottom