Hand labelling food

Local time
8:24 PM
Mod.edit: posts moved to form new topic (MG)

You labeled it. I have frozen stuff before thinking, "Oh I will know what this is" and a year later...I don't have a clue. Well actually I quit doing that and now label everything. And you have nice handwriting too, BTW. Mine looks like an 8 year old wrote it.
Lol, that I did but what I meant by ‘onion sauce’ is a mystery 😂
Thanks for the handwriting compliment. Although as someone who went to a school where everyone had to write in italics with a proper ink pen * and do handwriting as a subject twice a week I look at it and wince at it’s sloppyness! 😆

*proper ink pen meant a calligraphy pen with a wide italic nib (in which case you were allowed to use ink cartridges) or if you didn’t use a wide italic nibbed pen then you had to use the old fashion ink pens that you had to dip into an ink pot.
It was the early 80’s so I think my headmaster must have been quite mad!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol, that I did but what I meant by ‘onion sauce’ is a mystery 😂
Thanks for the handwriting compliment. Although as someone who went to a school where everyone had to write in italics with a proper ink pen * and do handwriting as a subject twice a week I look at it and wince at it’s sloppyness! 😆

proper ink pen meant a calligraphy pen with a wide italic nib (in which case you were allowed to use ink cartridges) or if you didn’t use a wide italic nibbed pen then you had to use the old fashion ink pens that you had to dip into an ink pot.
It was the early 80’s so I think my headmaster must have been quite mad!!
I actually did calligraphy in school in advanced art, but in "regular" classes we were allowed to use standard ink pens (oh BTW I graduated in 1980). My handwriting is decent in general and I have a lovely signature, but when I am writing on jars or labels it's quite sloppy (might have something to do with 2 or several glasses of wine, which is another good reason to label food before freezing).

These days in the US they aren't even teaching "cursive" writing, so kids have no idea how to write their name in a signature style. I guess they really don't have to worry about it too much since credit card readers no longer require signatures and they may only ever have to sign property deeds, wills, and such other documents. I imagine that will gobsmack them when the time comes since all they will be able to do is print their names!

I actually did calligraphy in school in advanced art, but in "regular" classes we were allowed to use standard ink pens (oh BTW I graduated in 1980). My handwriting is decent in general and I have a lovely signature, but when I am writing on jars or labels it's quite sloppy (might have something to do with 2 or several glasses of wine, which is another good reason to label food before freezing).

These days in the US they aren't even teaching "cursive" writing, so kids have no idea how to write their name in a signature style. I guess they really don't have to worry about it too much since credit card readers no longer require signatures and they may only ever have to sign property deeds, wills, and such other documents. I imagine that will gobsmack them when the time comes since all they will be able to do is print their names!
I do like calligraphy, I enjoy pretty handwriting but I’m not convinced as a child it’s a great way to learn joined up writing just because so many of my classmates struggled so much with the way the letters joined.
With literacy skills being so difficult for some folk to grasp I kinda think they should make it as accessible as possible.

My jar/label/freezer bag writing is always very substandard. I cant quite figure out why. I think maybe by the time I’m writing the labels I think the jobs already done and perhaps I pay the freezing of the food after cooling lip service. I’m always slightly irritated after all that effort it didn’t put itself in the freezer 🤷‍♀️ 😂

We used to do the multi choice think I'll remember it and haven't, so now everything gets labelled. The labels are stuck to the side of the fridge freezer with a strong magnet clasp...

As for handwriting, the school I started at was traditional refillable fountain pens only and blotting paper. The other option was pencil which my handwriting was much better with. By my 3rd year, we were allowed cartridge fountain pens and by my 6th form we were actually allowed biros!

We used to do the multi choice think I'll remember it and haven't, so now everything gets labelled. The labels are stuck to the side of the fridge freezer with a strong magnet clasp...

As for handwriting, the school I started at was traditional refillable fountain pens only and blotting paper. The other option was pencil which my handwriting was much better with. By my 3rd year, we were allowed cartridge fountain pens and by my 6th form we were actually allowed biros!
Biros, how forward thinking! 😂

I actually did calligraphy in school in advanced art, but in "regular" classes we were allowed to use standard ink pens (oh BTW I graduated in 1980).
We were all taught Marion Richardson script at school. A thin dowel rod with a nib attached, and the ink in an inkwell on the desk, and I wrote with a proper fountain pen all my life (until about 15 years ago).

Yes, I label my freezer stuff, usually along these lines:

“Pizza dough - u/b 24-12”

Meaning, that’s pizza dough, and I need to use it by December 2024. Sometimes, yes…I can’t read what I wrote, but I can usually tell what it is.

Handwriting offshoot - I still hand write most things, taking notes, etc, but I prefer pencils to pens, for some reason, and especially mechanical pencils with refillable lead. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Handwriting offshoot - I still hand write most things, taking notes, etc, but I prefer pencils to pens, for some reason, and especially mechanical pencils with refillable lead. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I love a propelling pencil ❤️
But I usually use a sharpie for labelling freezer stuff just because once Mr Frosty been at it I can’t read the labels easily.

I'm old enough to remember when we switched from fountain pens to ball point pens in school. The student desks all had holes in them to hold the ink bottle.
I'm not that old, but my school was and every single desk had ink wells and usually a lot of ink stains. It was 1991 before my school allowed biros

Yes, I label my freezer stuff, usually along these lines:

“Pizza dough - u/b 24-12”

Meaning, that’s pizza dough, and I need to use it by December 2024. Sometimes, yes…I can’t read what I wrote, but I can usually tell what it is.

Goddam it Tasty I’ve just ordered myself a propelling pencil.
You’re an expensive man to know 😆

Back
Top Bottom