Has anyone ever smoked a rump or other beef roast like a smoked brisket?

KDinTexas

Local time
8:32 AM
Website
kdavis1836.wixsite.com
We buy beef by the quarter or sixth cow, and we did not get a brisket this time. I researched this and it seems doable, but I wondered if I'm the only one. I can honestly say I have never once thought about smoking a roast until now. I would not want to let the juices drip into the fire/coals.

We buy beef by the quarter or sixth cow, and we did not get a brisket this time. I researched this and it seems doable, but I wondered if I'm the only one. I can honestly say I have never once thought about smoking a roast until now. I would not want to let the juices drip into the fire/coals.
What about smoking it in a shallow foil tray?

I've never smoked a beef roast but we've done a pork roast. I can't remember if we did it in a tray or not but it was yummy.

We've used the snake method, with charcoal and wood, from ATK/Cook's Country for brisket the last few times, and it uses a water/drip pan in the center. I've seen roasts cooked that way as well. Have to say, the brisket using that method is absolutely delish!

The juices dripping onto the coals and causing little flares that kiss the meat create even more flavour so I don’t think I’d be too concerned about that.

The main consideration is how smoked you want it. A lot of people like a really dark ‘bark’ personally I find that too much and like my joints lightly smoked.
Smoke is so much more drying than just heat on it’s own so it’s important if you’re smoking a joint long and low like you would with brisket to keep it hydrated. Most people use a water spray bottle to keep the outside of the meat drying out too much.

If you put the joint on foil or anything solid like a tray that part con’t get smoked and you get a ‘bald’ bit. To me that’s no big deal but to some smoke loving connoisseurs it matters 🤷‍♀️

The biggest area to focus on if doing the joint from start to finish on coals is keeping it going whilst also controlling the temperature which I’m told (never tried myself) is a bit of a skill.
So a lot of people low n slow the joint in the oven or slow cooker and smoke it at the end on the coals because it’s easier.
Of course the strength of the smoke flavouring is then less.

The youtube god of BBQing is Guga and he generally knows his stuff. If you type ‘Guga Brisket’ into YouTube’s search you’ll get a few vids worth watching on what to do 👍

Thank you, good info! Yes, controlling the temperature is a skill without a thermoter on the smoker. Surely, you can buy them if your grill/smoker didn't come with one. I'll look up Guga. I usually don't need smoking advice, but I ain't never smoked a beef roast, and I think I'll go for it.

I have, but I'm trying to rmember the cut.
I wouldn't do rump. I think it is too lean. Shoulder or neck cuts should work better (by whatever name they go).
I use a weber smoky mountain and temp control is not too difficult.
A big short rib cut (if at all available) should work well
I got short ribs in this package, but we won't have enough. Hmm, I wonder about arm roast...I got one of them. I'll look it up. Thanx!

Back
Top Bottom