Hello from the West country

It may seem rather odd for me to say about an internet forum, but many of us have forged friendships and "know" each other pretty well (as much as someone can really know someone online). But I think people here are sincere and friendly, and we are rather fond of each other!

Hello everyone,

I'm Janine from Gloucester in the UK. I'm a 19 year old Media studies student and I love baking and cooking not just as a hobby but as a way to unwind and destress. I have been baking for about 2 years. I was looking for recipe's online and this forum came up so I thought I'd join.

I've recently made a blackberry pie, blackberries are ripe here at the moment as its coming to the end of the season. Looking forward to seeing other peoples baking skills and hoping to learn a lot.

A bit nervous about asking dumb questions. I will try and answer any questions sent my way so please feel free to reach out. Looking forward to making new friends.

Janine
Welcome aboard. The only dumb questions are those that are not asked.

Welcome aboard. The only dumb questions are those that are not asked.
I dunno I can ask some pretty dumb ones sometimes. I asked the other day why don't they make tyres on cars that don't wear and I got laughed at. But then someone said "If you invent that you'll be a millionaire" 😂

Last edited:
I dunno I can ask some pretty dumb ones sometimes. I asked the other day why don't they make tyres on cars that down wear and I got laughed at. But then someone said "If you invent that you'll be a millionaire" 😂
You can’t beat my niece, who was sent to the store for lettuce and when she got there, called home to her mom and said, “All the lettuce says cabbage, what should I do?” :wink:

In my first waitress job the chef told me to go and ask the bar for his 'short wait' back. I thought he meant some weighing instrument or something. James and Paul both laughed at me. I expect I will ask a dumb cooking question at some point.

In my first waitress job the chef told me to go and ask the bar for his 'short wait' back. I thought he meant some weighing instrument or something. James and Paul both laughed at me. I expect I will ask a dumb cooking question at some point.
We used to send people to go and get a long stand 😂

Tis all relative Janine. I worked with some well revered professors considered to have some of the finest brains in the country in their field and yet you’d have to explain the most basic things about how life worked and it was a close call whether they’d need help tying their shoe laces 😂

I dunno I can ask some pretty dumb ones sometimes. I asked the other day why don't they make tyres on cars that don't wear and I got laughed at. But then someone said "If you invent that you'll be a millionaire" 😂
Well it's a really good idea, and that's when people do make millions on inventions, when they fill a need or solve a problem!

We used to send people to go and get a long stand 😂

Tis all relative Janine. I worked with some well revered professors considered to have some of the finest brains in the country in their field and yet you’d have to explain the most basic things about how life worked and it was a close call whether they’d need help tying their shoe laces 😂
My brother is a quality control engineer. Yeah, he has trouble with a lot of pretty basic things even though he's super smart.

You can’t beat my niece, who was sent to the store for lettuce and when she got there, called home to her mom and said, “All the lettuce says cabbage, what should I do?” :wink:
My husband is math challenged (well in practical situations, no). I will send him to the store with a list that has quantities circled. If I have 1 or 2 of something on the list, he will come home with 3 or more. Well at least he used to do that until I yelled at him about it!

My bike back in the late 70's early 80s had solid rubber tyres. And I do think original ones on cars were solid as well, but it doesn't offer much flexibility or comfort.

The spongy tyres do remove a lot of shake, take and roll from roads, plus I now live in Australia where the choice of tyre is greatly influenced by what you'll be doing with the vehicle and my 4×4 has off-road tyres. When we're on very muddy, or sandy terrain I have to do the tyre pressures down to about 10psi. Sealed roads need them around 36psi, but if I drive over a branch at that pressure on a dirt track or field, I'll puncture the tyre, so 20psi is better in those circumstances. Solid rubber would not be feasible. It's also very heavy. I remember that bike well... it was heavy...

I had a hand me down bicycle when I was a kid with solid rubber tyres. I didn’t find it uncomfortable probably because I was a tiny kid but I remember my next bike with pneumatic tyres very vividly because you could go so much FASTER on it… cos unsurprisingly it was so much smoother and more comfortable.

I had a hand me down bicycle when I was a kid with solid rubber tyres. I didn’t find it uncomfortable probably because I was a tiny kid but I remember my next bike with pneumatic tyres very vividly because you could go so much FASTER on it… cos unsurprisingly it was so much smoother and more comfortable.
Yeah, mine was a handy me down as well.

Back
Top Bottom