How do you hold your dish towel when cooking?

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
11:37 PM
Assuming you use a dish towel while cooking (to dry your hands, wipe up an errant splash of water, pick up a hot pan, etc), how do you hold it while you’re prepping and cooking?

Are you an over-the-shoulder type, or are you like Jacques Pepin, who locks his around his apron string, or are you like me, who slides it into a belt loop?

IMG_8491.jpeg

My mom kept hers over her shoulder, I always drop it when I do that.

Here’s JP showing how it’s done:

View: https://youtu.be/ATRxr-3RksU?si=Tm-6p8_0nDFzQjHg

That man has a video for everything.
We have those prominent mounds on our chests that help keep it in place.

I have dish towels on various racks in my kitchen that get changed out often: I have one towel bar on the cabinet door below the sink (that one is strictly for drying hands after washing them), one hanging on the oven bar, and two hanging on opposite sides of my rolling chopping station, so I don't even need to have one on my body anywhere, though occasionally I will have one folded and on the counter near the stove.

My wife would kill me if I used a towel. I have destroyed them before. And probably will again.
My wife already did. So have I. Ditto.
So all the burnt ones, with holes in them, are squirreled away in my private hoard. I take them out when cooking and they are always close by. Never in one particular place; just close by.

Assuming you use a dish towel while cooking (to dry your hands, wipe up an errant splash of water, pick up a hot pan, etc), how do you hold it while you’re prepping and cooking?

Are you an over-the-shoulder type, or are you like Jacques Pepin, who locks his around his apron string, or are you like me, who slides it into a belt loop?

View attachment 114488
I rarely use towels for cooking. Usually, I wear an apron and if I need to wipe my hands, I wipe them on my apron.But your skills are really on point!

I wear an apron just about all day.
I have the style that was made popular by Sara Moulton, love it! I've been ordering custom aprons from this company since 2013.
I also have my favorite kitchen towel, that was recommended by ATK years ago, looped over the waist tie of that apron, all the time. I change it out frequently.
By looping/tucking (just once, not twice like JP) it around my waist tie, I can easily pull it off and utilize it as the need arises.

The way you do it, where you put a towel through the loop for the strap, has its own advantages. For me, it's the most convenient method.

I have a couple of aprons, and they are hanging, ready to use.
And still I hardly ever use them.
I do not know why...
I'm going to try again
I too have a few aprons hanging that I rarely use. I think it's because on days where I am not going anywhere or having company, I am wearing T-shirts and jeans or capri pants (3/4 length pants) that I don't really care much about getting splatters on. I haven't had people over in quite awhile where I was wearing nice clothing, which is generally when I used to wear aprons. That's not likely going to change anytime soon, so I think my aprons will remain hanging...

Back
Top Bottom