How many kinds of BBQ sauce do you make?

grumpyoldman

Local time
12:05 AM
here in the U.S there are 4 basic types of BBQ sause , Carloina, Memphis, south western , and Kansas city style
there are a 1000 other ways to make BBQ sause , whats your favorite ?

here in the U.S there are 4 basic types of BBQ sause , Carloina, Memphis, south western , and Kansas city style
there are a 1000 other ways to make BBQ sause , whats your favorite ?
Texas style is my favorite. I grew up in Florida but both my parents were from Texas. Though actually they were from SE Texas close to the Louisiana state line so there's a touch of Cajun flavor in there.

Even though I make it the most because it seems to be ubiquitous, ketchup/tomato-based barbecue sauces aren’t all that tasty to me. I’ll eat them, but I don’t love them.

I do, however like the mustardy-vinegary ones I’ve had. I never make those because I’m the only one in my circle who likes them.

I fess up I struggle with BBQ sauce, I find it far too sugary but I do like the flavour.
Which of those four BBQ sauces is the least sweet?
Which is why mine has a lot of mustard in it.
Even though I make it the most because it seems to be ubiquitous, ketchup/tomato-based barbecue sauces aren’t all that tasty to me. I’ll eat them, but I don’t love them.

I do, however like the mustardy-vinegary ones I’ve had. I never make those because I’m the only one in my circle who likes them.
Yes. Mine does have some ketchup in it but also soy to mellow it out.

Can't stand Sweet Baby Ray's. Even the Sweet and Spicy one that everyone tells me is so great. It's just okay. I swear I would almost just rather it be seasoned with Cajun spice and no sauce rather than put SBR's on it.

Cool thread idea!

Honestly, Have never tried any of the mentioned.

Love garlicky, oniony, tomatoey ( not necessarily ketchupy, more like a dip, but would also eat anything offered, unless it's very hot or spicy) and bell-peppery flavours, mustardy would be on place no 2, but would still give it a go...

would definitely try all 4, just to have an idea...

And would, as mentioned, avoid overly hot and spicy ones.

Are there Mayo - based ones? Those would be no 3...

Anything with herbs, no 4...

I do too. I also don't like artificial smoky flavours.
Ditto.
You’d think it would be possible given the huge number of bottles of gloop sold that there would be some space in the market for something that doesn’t taste like some sort of syrup with artificial flavourings.
But then it’s the same for a lot of shop bought pre-made foods isn’t it, it’s almost a shock when you try one and it taste’s ok 😂

doesn’t taste like some sort of syrup with artificial flavourings.
Agreed. I recall a Bbq labeled sauce I bought a year ago or so, that was utterly inedible. Had to go to garbage. Have no idea what it was, it was dark, molassey, very strange medicinal anti-flavour... never bought again.

At home prepared food is way tastier, agreed.
Even my daughter makes the comparison...e.g.for homemade Lasagna...

I made one about 10 years ago based on a recipe by Ferrán Adriá, the famous chef from El Bulli in Spain. I do remember it contained orange juice, and was approved by youngest son (who is the BBQ King) . I'll see if I can dig it out.
I’d appreciate that.
I always manage to hit roughly the right note when making sauces for BBQ but it is usually made up on the hoof.
I’d really like a few ol’ reliables, preferably made in advance jobbies!

Back
Top Bottom