How to clean wood chop boards?

WaterPixie

Local time
7:29 PM
Hi,
I am looking to buy a high quality wooden chopping board, looking to spend around £150 on one, I live in the UK by the by. So obviously at that price point it will be a heavy board.

Are you supposed to wash wooden boards in the sink? Given mine will be heavy it will not be practical. And doesn't water make wood split?

If not with water in sink, how are you meant to clean them?

Thanks

I just wipe mine down with a dishcloth/Jcloth and then a tea towel. I will point out at this point that no meat or animal products go on or chopping board, though live chickens do sometimes stand on it accidentally (on the kitchen counter).

Occasionally I'll use a little bleach, followed by hot water, a scrub and a dry but then it has to dried thoroughly and be re-oiled.

I just use hot water
But I have never spend 150 pound on a cutting board and probably never will!
Mine are used for everything (yes, incl raw chicken) and I am still alive
Note that our humidity is very low and the board dries out thoroughly

I've a friend who swears by lemon and salt followed by a rinse with hot water, then towel dried.

I use silicone mats on top of mine when cutting meats or fish that go in the dishwasher after being used.

I just use cloth with warm water and light dish soap on my boards. Usually just for vegetables. Any time I cut meat I use those nylon cutting mats. They go directly into the dishwasher after use.

I have a few grill scrapers that I find useful. I run it gently over the board and it scrapes up a layer of oil that you can't detect with the naked eye. Kind of gross, actually..

I use three wooden boards daily, and one is quite large. Here are all my tips and things I do:

First, with each board, when I first got it, I followed the old cook’s tale of “once a day, once a week, once a month, once a year,” meaning I oiled it once a day for a week, then once a week for a month, then once a month for a year, and now whenever it feels a little dry or looks like it’s absorbing water.

I use food-safe mineral oil, buying it from the pharmacy (where the laxatives are stocked). My sister swears by super-expensive beeswax. I’ve used that and it’s too much work for me, costs too much, and has the same results.

Day-to-day cleaning - if I’m just chopping rather benign vegetables, or kneading bread dough, something like that, just a quick scrape with a bench scraper and a damp cloth, but if it’s anything oily-greasy, or if it’s anything that stinks, like onions or garlic, those get dealt with and into a prep bowl immediately, and a quick wipe with a damp paper towel before I move on to the next item. Apparently, my superpower is that I can smell old garlic or old onion odors on a board for weeks if I don’t do that (and I’m prone to giving my board a whiff when I walk by it from time to time, just to make sure all is well).

Chopping stuff like that, as soon as I’m done with it, into the (empty) sink (no submerging), then a good scrub with hot soapy water, rinse, dry with a towel, and then propped up at an angle so it can dry evenly all the way round - some boards, depending on their material, size, and construction, will begin to warp over time if left to dry flat.

If I’m quartering a lemon to juice, I’ll usually take that as an opportunity to rub the spent quarters over the board, as a natural cleanser-deodorizer, letting it sit for a bit, then wiping it off.

Heavy-duty cleaning, if I’ve gotten something particularly noxious on there, I’ll make a thick paste of baking soda and water and leave that on for a while, to really pull the odors out. I rarely have to do that.

All in all, I treat it like anything else in the kitchen - if I use it and it gets dirty, I wash it.

There are a lot of buying guides out there for chopping boards, too, so read a few of those to make sure you know the pros and cons of different woods and different construction methods. It makes a difference.

I too just wipe them. I use a pastry scraper to scrape the board and then finish up with a paper towel sprinkled with water. Get yourself a bottle of mineral oil. It is a good food safe oil to keep the board from drying out.

am looking to buy a high quality wooden chopping board, looking to spend around £150 on one, I live in the UK by the by. So obviously at that price point it will be a heavy board.

Are you sure you mean £150? That is a huge amount for any chopping board!

I don't wanna spend that much. But that's what they all be saying. Including America's Test Kitchen.
Perhaps you should listen to your inner self and buy a cheaper one whilst you learn how to care for it and the knives that'll get used on it and save for a more expensive one further down the line.

I personally prefer decent knives and a semi decent chopping board that I can bleach or wash as needed and just replace the board as needed. I'd rather not replace the knives.

I got lucky a few years back when I bought a batch of restaurant equipment from a place that had closed down. There were three large Boos cutting boards in with it all. One was in really good shape so I use it at home. I gave one to my son. One was well used so I cleaned it up and use it in my commercial kitchen to this day. I have to admit that I wash it in a large sink of soapy water every day before close. Sometimes I wipe it lightly with a steel scrub pad. It hasn't changed one bit after years of washing like this.

I don't wanna spend that much. But that's what they all be saying. Including America's Test Kitchen.
My largest board is the Teakhaus XL - America’s Test Kitchen #1 recommended board, and that currently lists for $139US on Teakhaus’ website.

Are those available in the UK?

1727267172946.png

Teakhaus.com

My largest board is the Teakhaus XL - America’s Test Kitchen #1 recommended board, and that currently lists for $139US on Teakhaus’ website.

Are those available in the UK?

View attachment 118926
Teakhaus.com
No. Pretty much ANYTHING available in the USA cannot be bought in Europe/UK. Such as REAL Mexican ingredients (some can be bought on Amazon etc but are imported, you pay 10x (literally) what you would there in USA for it due to it being imported and not too much demand, and it is of low quality. And has spent considerable time in transports so is far far from fresh.

Some things like that board, just cannot be bought at all here. Even if I was willing to pay the £80 ($107) it would likely cost in shipping to the UK from USA. The Teakhaus website offers no other delivery destination other than USA.

Back
Top Bottom