How to clean wood chop boards?

No. Pretty much ANYTHING available in the USA cannot be bought in Europe/UK. Such as REAL Mexican ingredients (some can be bought on Amazon etc but are imported, you pay 10x (literally) what you would there in USA for it due to it being imported and not too much demand, and it is of low quality. And has spent considerable time in transports so is far far from fresh.

Some things like that board, just cannot be bought at all here. Even if I was willing to pay the £80 ($107) it would likely cost in shipping to the UK from USA. The Teakhaus website offers no other delivery destination other than USA.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=teakho...akhaus+cutting+board,aps,751&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

That exact model he gave isn't available though?

Product dimensions on this listing don't even make sense -_-

Screenshot_20240925_154354_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Screenshot_20240925_154508_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Last edited:
hard maple is the "classic" time proven wood for cutting boards - "end grain" construction is generally accepted as "preferred"
that said, we had an "edge grain" construction maple board for ~30 years, it cracked and I replaced it with and "end grain" maple trimmed in walnut. amazon uk
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=maple+...utting+,aps,416&ref=nb_sb_ss_fb_1_14_ts-doa-p

my old/new - for scale that's a 10" / 25 cm chef's knife.
board-combo1.jpg

A spray
Yes I do. all the youtube channels I watch etc all recommend spending AT LEAST that much on one. Like this guy Chef Jean-Pierre

I don't wanna spend that much. But that's what they all be saying. Including America's Test Kitchen.
In one of his vids he explains the weak bleach/water combo he uses in a spray to clean his wooden chopping boards. I was sold on his reasoning, and the fact he hasn’t poisoned anyone yet 😂
Useful info if you can find it!

Oh. Wait. Bleach? As in Domestos?!!
I can’t remember what bleach he said. I found it interesting but didn’t really pay attention because I gave away my big heavy wooden chopping board due to it not being able to go in the dishwasher 😂

It’s in one of his YouTube vids. I really can’t remember which. I’ve had a quick look but no joy I’m afraid.
It’s mixed in with him demonstrating how to cook something so it’s hard to find!

Maple - my second-largest board is maple, and I’ve had other maple boards, and they’re great for being easy on a knife edge, but in my experience, they’re very thirsty boards - even after the once-a-day-for-a-week-etc routine, I still have to oil my maple board after every other washing. The teak board, because of the natural oils already in there…I might oil that one twice a year.

Bleach solution - I do keep a weak bleach solution mixed up for various cleaning tasks, and it’s perfectly safe to use on wooden (and other) boards. Don’t quote me on it, but it’s something like 1 TB bleach per gallon of water. I mix up an appropriate amount and keep it in a spray bottle.

my cutting board resides on a granite top island. it never goes anywhere else - too big too heavy.
be sure your good wood board has feet - it must never sit in contact with a wet surface.

I have a board scraper aka dough scraper aka chopped-stuff-mover to ensure there's nothing stuck to it.
gets used, gets washed with a wet soapy dish cloth, and immediately dried with a bar towel. immediate!

I never let water stand on it. the 'washing up water' beads up due to the bee's wax treatment.
it's oiled/waxed twice a year now - at the beginning much more frequently.

we do have a multiplicity of smaller wood and plastic boards . . . for when 'there's just not enough room'
or 'too many cooks working' . .
things like a pre-dinner cheese platter requiring guests to 'cut their own' . . .

I would never ever put a wood board of any size or material through the dishwasher.

"health inspectors" (depends on local/state - highly highly inconsistent....) demand commercial places use plastic boards so they can go thru the dish washing/sanitizing process.

one can find studies / investigations that show one material better/worse than the other (re: wood vs. plastic)
it is not a simple topic/issue.
in addition - "plastic" is not "plastic" . . . HDPE is 'easily sliced into' creating the tiny grooves the plastic haters insist harbor all kinds of microbes . . . other plastics and 'hybrid' materials are common.

as to durability.... one seldom sees quality wood boards sold in a six pack - where as plastics . . that seems to be the norm.
six/ten packs . . obviously the seller seems to think you use it for a while and toss it . . .

I can’t remember what bleach he said. I found it interesting but didn’t really pay attention because I gave away my big heavy wooden chopping board due to it not being able to go in the dishwasher 😂

It’s in one of his YouTube vids. I really can’t remember which. I’ve had a quick look but no joy I’m afraid.
It’s mixed in with him demonstrating how to cook something so it’s hard to find!
I swear Americans have real bleach and in the UK we don't? Ours is mixed with stuff isn't it?

I swear Americans have real bleach and in the UK we don't? Ours is mixed with stuff isn't it?

I’m no bleach expert, I haven’t used bleach for donkeys years.
But you’d probably be more comfortable with ‘Thin Bleach’ it’s not got the thickeners in it (you know the stuff that clings to your toilet bowl) so it’s easily diluted. It’s very cheap. Even medical suppliers bleach is cheap. Have a look online.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom