karadekoolaid

Legendary Member
Staff member
Local time
9:42 AM
Hummus can be made in a thousand ways, but I like it in its simplest form , and not completely blended to a thick sauce-like texture. You can add more garlic, a pinch of cumin, extra spices, a piece of cooked beetroot, parsley - it's up to you.

Ingredients:
1/2 packet dried chickpeas, soaked overnight and then drained
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
3-4 tbsps tahini ( sesame seed sauce)
Juice of 2 limes/1 lemon
Salt to taste
Olive oil
Paprika to garnish
About a teacup of the cooking water

Method:
  • Cook the chickpeas in boiling salted water for about 50 minutes/ 1 hr, until the chickpeas are soft. Drain, keeping a cupful of the cooking liquid aside.
  • In a food processor or blender, pulse the chickpeas until they are roughly mashed. Add a little cooking liquid if you wish. Alternately, use a potato masher and mash the chickpeas in a bowl. (Personally, I like a bit of texture in my hummus)
  • Put the mashed chickpeas into a bowl and add the minced garlic, the tahini, the lime juice, a drizzle of olive oil and 1/2 tsp salt (to begin with). Mix together with a fork. If the mixture is too thick for your liking, add more cooking liquid and/or more tahini. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
  • Serve in a bowl, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle a little paprika on top.
Hummus.jpg

Hummus can be made in a thousand ways, but I like it in its simplest form , and not completely blended to a thick sauce-like texture. You can add more garlic, a pinch of cumin, extra spices, a piece of cooked beetroot, parsley - it's up to you.

Ingredients:
1/2 packet dried chickpeas, soaked overnight and then drained
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
3-4 tbsps tahini ( sesame seed sauce)
Juice of 2 limes/1 lemon
Salt to taste
Olive oil
Paprika to garnish
About a teacup of the cooking water

Method:
  • Cook the chickpeas in boiling salted water for about 50 minutes/ 1 hr, until the chickpeas are soft. Drain, keeping a cupful of the cooking liquid aside.
  • In a food processor or blender, pulse the chickpeas until they are roughly mashed. Add a little cooking liquid if you wish. Alternately, use a potato masher and mash the chickpeas in a bowl. (Personally, I like a bit of texture in my hummus)
  • Put the mashed chickpeas into a bowl and add the minced garlic, the tahini, the lime juice, a drizzle of olive oil and 1/2 tsp salt (to begin with). Mix together with a fork. If the mixture is too thick for your liking, add more cooking liquid and/or more tahini. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
  • Serve in a bowl, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle a little paprika on top.
View attachment 118649
I’ve never made houmous/hummus with dried chickpeas before and have ever been entirely happy with the tinned ones due to having to spend gawd knows how long removing the skins. What are the skins like when when you used dried?

I’ve never made houmous/hummus with dried chickpeas before and have ever been entirely happy with the tinned ones due to having to spend gawd knows how long removing the skins. What are the skins like when when you used dried?
You remove the skins? It's honestly never occured to me to do that and I use tinned ones a lot.

I never remove the skins. why would I want to do that? It's like peeling mushrooms.
When the cooked chickpeas are blended, the skins get blended as well. I don't notice them.

Ottolenghi says drain the tinned chickpeas and roll between two tea towels to remove the skins. Well, he should know...

I wonder if a mouli legume would do the trick?
He’d be the man for the job!

Not entirely following the mouli legume part.
My first thought was Mooli which is obviously off in completely the wrong direction 😂 and then I guess it’s stick whatever the legume is through a mouli?

A "mouli legume" is a food mill?

Yes. The advantage of food mills that they leave fibrous parts of vegetables behind. Blenders of course, don't.

View attachment 118685
When I make apple sauce, I just quarter the apples, NO peeling. Throw them in the Instant Pot, with a bit of sugar and NO water added. By the time it comes to pressure, there's enough liquid from the apples. When it's done, I put it through the food mill. Removes the skins, cores, and seeds in one shot. The apple sauce thickens up from the natural pectin in the skins. I have an old food mill, no extra plates.

I did not know this.
Sounds like it's worth a try on the ol' chickpeas.
I will have a go tomorrow when chickpeas arrive and report back. I rarely use the moulis as I mostly leave fibre in when I purèe things. I remember once vernplum asked how to get a smooth asparagus soup as the bottom of the stems are fibrous and I suggested a moulis. I think he got one and it worked for him.

I will have a go tomorrow when chickpeas arrive and report back. I rarely use the moulis as I mostly leave fibre in when I purèe things. I remember once vernplum asked how to get a smooth asparagus soup as the bottom of the stems are fibrous and I suggested a moulis. I think he got one and it worked for him.
That would be good. I don’t have a mouli but I would like one if it worked!

Back
Top Bottom